Miami Beach holds onto revised convention center financials

 

More information

Miami Beach


cveiga@MiamiHerald.com

Developers competing to land a billion-dollar deal to overhaul Miami Beach’s Convention Center District submitted on Friday revised lease and revenue projections — but the city refused to immediately release the public records.

The revisions were due by close of business on Friday and were prompted by City Manager Jimmy Morales’ last-minute call to eliminate the housing and cultural facilities on the convention center site, dramatically reduce the retail space, and for the city to retain ownership of the 17th Street Parking Garage.

Miami Beach hopes to pay for renovations to its convention center by leasing the surrounding public land for private development. Reducing the scope of the project means less land will be leased, and therefore the renovation will cost taxpayers more. The public’s share of the burden has yet to be publicly released.

Miami Beach’s city attorney confirmed on Friday evening that the teams’ financial revisions had been received, but said he wouldn’t release them immediately.

“The public records law doesn’t mean that it has to be provided to you instantaneously,” City Attorney Jose Smith said Friday evening. “As a matter of courtesy, I ought to be able to read it first and digest it, before I make it a public record.”

Florida has broad public records laws that mandate many city documents be made available to anyone who asks for them.

Morales’ recommendations, made in a memo released Monday night, were dramatically different from plans created by teams of world-renowned developers, architects and urban planners over many months. Miami Beach commissioners are scheduled to pick a team at the July 17th meeting.

Finalists for the 52-acre project are:

* Portman-CMC, led by Atlanta-based Portman Holdings along with rising architect Bjarke Ingels.

* South Beach ACE, led by New York-based Tishman Hotel and Realty, along with Pritzker Prize-winning architect Rem Koolhaas.

Portman-CMC declined to comment Friday night.

South Beach ACE released a statement that said: “The core design and master plan components of the South Beach ACE proposal are very much in line with the recommendations outlined by the City Manager For this reason, the key elements of our master plan remain intact.”

The teams’ new numbers, and the city manager’s recommendations, will be discussed at a Land Use and Development Committee meeting at 5 p.m. Monday.

“We are confident that our design team can do some exciting things within the scope of the City’s guidelines, and we look forward to reviewing financial scenarios with the Manager and staff next week,” ACE wrote in a statement.

Follow @Cveiga on Twitter.

Read more Miami-Dade stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category