Egyptian military overthrows Morsi, targets Muslim Brotherhood

 
 

Fireworks light the sky outside the presidential palace in Cairo, Egypt moments after Egypt's military chief says President Morsi has been replaced.
Fireworks light the sky outside the presidential palace in Cairo, Egypt moments after Egypt's military chief says President Morsi has been replaced.
Nariman El-Mofty / AP

McClatchy Foreign Staff

Egypt’s military took control of the country Wednesday, suspending the constitution and asking the head of the country’s high constitutional court to lead the nation in a transition period with a government comprised of “technocrats.”

In a somber announcement on national television, the country’s defense minister, Gen. Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, announced that the military had taken the action because Egypt’s first democratically elected president, Mohammed Morsi, had shown himself unwilling to meet the demands of a fractured opposition that had wanted him to step down.

Morsi “did not meet the demands of the masses,” said el-Sissi, who Morsi appointed minister of defense and commander of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces in August 2012.

El-Sissi made no mention of Morsi’s whereabouts, but Muslim Brotherhood spokesman Gehad El-Haddad tweeted early Thursday that he was under house arrest, as were most members of his presidential staff. News reports had said earlier in the day that the military had cut off all communication to Morsi. Various statements published online and attributed to him called what happened a “military coup” and urged his supporters to reject the military’s actions.

There were signs, however, that the military was moving quickly to stifle the influence of the Muslim Brotherhood, the once-outlawed Islamist organization through which Morsi gained prominence and that until Wednesday was thought to be the country’s most influential political organization.

In the hours leading up to the seven-minute announcement, the military surrounded roads leading to crowds of Morsi supporters who’d rallied to the president’s calls that they defend him. Immediately after the announcement, police arrested crews from the Brotherhood television channel and other Islamist channels, state news reported. The Brotherhood channel went dark shortly after Morsi’s fall and did not return to the air.

There were also reports that some top Brotherhood officials had been arrested for involvement in a 2011 jailbreak that freed Morsi and 33 other Brotherhood leaders. On June 23, an Egyptian court had declared the prison break “illegitimate;” that ruling came down on the same day the military first issued a warning that it might be forced to intervene if Morsi and his opponents were unable to reconcile. The legal ramifications for Morsi of the ruling remain unclear.

The military also moved against the local arm of Al Jazeera, the Qatar-owned news channel, raiding its offices and ending its broadcasts.

Cairo’s streets, which had been crowded for three days by millions of demonstrators demanding Morsi’s resignation, exploded in celebration at the announcement.

But among Morsi’s backers the reaction was anger, and there were indications it could give way to violence.

In the Rabaa section of Cairo, a crowd of bitter Morsi supporters sprayed gunfire into the air and pledged to fight to preserve the Brotherhood's political gains. Many were armed with guns and sticks.

“Jihad is our destiny,” they chanted. “Our revolution is Islamic, Islamic. . . . Don’t worry Morsi, we are all with you.”

Some added, “Blood will drench all the streets of Egypt.”

El-Sissi said the military took the step of removing Morsi after months of trying to persuade him to compromise with his opponents. He said the military’s efforts began in November, after Morsi declared himself exempt from judicial oversight. That declaration sparked demonstrations then.

Ismail is a McClatchy special correspondent. Email: nyoussef@mcclatchydc.com; Twitter: @nancyayoussef

Read more World stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category