Trayvon Martin case

State’s case against Zimmerman nears a close

 
 

George Zimmerman enters the courtroom at his trial in Seminole County circuit court, in Sanford, Fla., Wednesday, July 3, 2013. Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed teen, in 2012.
George Zimmerman enters the courtroom at his trial in Seminole County circuit court, in Sanford, Fla., Wednesday, July 3, 2013. Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed teen, in 2012.
Orlando Sentinel, Jacob Langston, Pool / AP Photo

ebenn@MiamiHerald.com

Prosecutors are expected to wrap up their case Friday in the murder trial of George Zimmerman, with Trayvon Martin’s mother likely to be the state’s final witness.

On Wednesday, before a holiday break, jurors heard about Zimmerman’s criminal-justice studies and his interest in police work, as well as testimony from forensic experts.

Zimmerman, 29, is charged with second-degree murder in the Feb. 26, 2012, shooting death of Trayvon, 17, of Miami Gardens. Zimmerman claims self-defense, saying he was attacked by Trayvon in the gated Sanford community where Zimmerman lives and where Trayvon was visiting his father.

Part of the state’s theory in the case is that Zimmerman, a neighborhood-watch leader, acted as a vigilante and wannabe cop, profiling and pursuing an unarmed Trayvon.

Seminole Circuit Judge Debra Nelson cited that theory in allowing the state to call witnesses and present other evidence Wednesday that documented Zimmerman’s previous interest in legal issues and law enforcement.

Zimmerman was one of the “better students” in a criminal-litigation course, the professor, U.S. Army Capt. Alexis Carter, said. He earned an A in the 2011 class, which the instructor said covered on several occasions Florida’s controversial Stand Your Ground law.

In an interview televised last year and played in court this week, Zimmerman said he had never heard of Stand Your Ground until after the shooting.

Defense attorney Don West took his cross-examination of Carter as an opportunity to have the witness explain elements of self-defense. Carter testified that injuries do not have to be life-threatening or even present to make a reasonable claim of self-defense.

“You don’t have to wait until you’re almost dead before you can defend yourself?” West asked.

“No. I would not advise to do that,” Carter replied.

Technical problems slightly delayed the testimony of another of Zimmerman’s Seminole State College professors. Gordon “Scott” Pleasants connected to the courtroom via Skype, but his screen quickly became inundated with call-in requests from pranksters who had been following the trial on TV.

“There is now a really good chance that we are being toyed with,” defense attorney Mark O’Mara said. They moved the interview from Skype to an iPhone projected into a microphone on the witness stand.

Prosecutors also called witnesses who confirmed that Zimmerman applied in 2009 for a job with the Prince William County, Va., police department. His application was rejected because of poor financial credit, Lt. Scott Kearns testified

And in 2010, Zimmerman requested to go on a ride-along with Sanford Police. He wrote on his request form that the experience would help solidify “my chances of a career in law enforcement,” said Jim Krzenski, a Sanford Police administrator.

Jurors ended the day with testimony from two Florida Department of Law Enforcement analysts.

Amy Siewert explained how Zimmerman’s semiautomatic pistol functioned. She testified that the single shot that killed Trayvon was a “contact shot,” meaning the muzzle of the gun was in contact with Trayvon’s hooded sweatshirt when it fired.

On cross-examination, Siewert said she could confirm that the gun was “touching” Trayvon’s hoodie, not that it was “pressing” against it, as prosecutor John Guy noted in his opening argument.

Read more Trayvon Martin stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category