Madrid shines in 2020 bid presentations

 

AP Sports Writer

With Spain's crown prince stealing the show, Madrid made the biggest impact Wednesday among the three cities bidding for the 2020 Olympics and established itself as a serious contender in the race.

Madrid, Istanbul and Tokyo made their pitches to IOC members, hoping to seize the momentum in the final two months before the vote.

This was the first time the cities had the chance to present their case directly to the electorate - and Madrid made the most of it, generating a buzz that could make the race tighter than ever.

Counted out by many a few months ago because of Spain's severe financial troubles, Madrid hammered home the message that it offers a low-cost, no-risk bid.

And Crown Prince Felipe, a former Olympic sailor who was Spain's flag-bearer at the 1992 Barcelona Games, charmed the members with his speech.

"If you're grading performance, Madrid did the best in terms of the message and delivery of it," senior Canadian IOC member Dick Pound said. "The star of the day was the prince. It was his content, his delivery, his genuineness.

"Those who might have Madrid as a distant third would now be rethinking that."

Other members also cited the 45-year-old prince's appearance as the highlight of the day. Britain's Craig Reedie, who wrote a technical report evaluating the bids, said Madrid "lifted their game."

While Madrid stood out Wednesday, members said, all three cities made strong presentations and no candidate looms as a favorite heading into the vote on Sept. 7 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

It was at a similar meeting in 2009 that Rio de Janeiro grabbed the momentum in the race for the 2016 Games, but members said there was probably no dramatic turn this time to decide the winner.

"I think it's less clear than before," Reedie said.

Istanbul's presentation passed off with scant mention of the anti-government protests that swept the country last month, while Tokyo cited its financial strength and the Olympics as a symbol of Japan's recovery from the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

Istanbul is bidding for a fifth time overall and Tokyo is back for a second consecutive time. Madrid is bidding for a third time in a row after finishing third in the voting for the 2012 Olympics and second for the 2016 Games.

Spanish IOC member Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr., who was part of those two bids and sits on the 2020 committee, said it was too early to judge the impact of the presentation.

"I don't know about game changing," he said. "I never thought we were behind, but I don't think we're ahead. We pushed with all we had today. But we have to take a breath today. We won nothing today - nada."

The meetings took place behind closed doors at the Beaulieu convention center. Each delegation had 45 minutes to make speeches and show videos, with another 45 minutes allotted for questions and answers.

Istanbul received no questions about the protests, and Madrid fielded no questions about the economy.

Of the IOC's 100 members, 86 attended the proceedings. Among those absent were FIFA president and Swiss member Sepp Blatter and Britain's Princess Anne.

Madrid has sought to position itself as the safe choice, despite Spain's recession and 27 percent unemployment rate. Madrid brought Economy Minister Luis de Guindos to tell the IOC members that the economy was recovering and the games posed no financial risk.

Madrid stressed that it has 80 percent of the venues ready and would need only $1.9 billion for Olympic construction.

Read more Olympics stories from the Miami Herald

  • The latest news from the USOC - July 9

    Bob Bryan (Sunny Isles Beach, Fla.) and Mike Bryan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) became the first mens doubles team in the Open-era to hold all four major titles along with an Olympic gold medal after winning the mens doubles final at the 2013 Wimbledon Championships, held June 29-July 7 in London. The sibling duo earned a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 victory over to the Croatian/Brazilian pairing of Ivan Dodig and Marcelo Melo in the final. With the win, the Bryan brothers earned their 15th Grand Slam title and improved their record as the winningest mens pairing of all time.

  •  

FILE In this screen shot taken in Moscow, Wednesday, Dec. 2, 2009 of a  computer screen showing an undated photo of a man identified as Chechen separatist leader Doku Umarov posted on the Kavkazcenter.com site. Doku Umarov, a leading Chechen rebel on Tuesday July 2, 2013 called on Islamist militants in Russiaís North Caucasus to disrupt the upcoming Winter Games in the Black Sea resort of Sochi, reversing his previous appeal not to target civilians in the region.  Sochi is hosting the Winter Olympics in February in what has been described as President Vladimir Putinís pet project. The overall bill for the Games stands at $51 billion, making them by far the most expensive Olympics in history

    Column: Will Sochi be secure in wake of threats?

    Until recently, the most interest about the Black Sea resort of Sochi was the staggering $51 billion tab the Russians are picking up to host the Winter Olympics in President Vladimir Putin's backyard.

  • 37,000 police to secure Sochi Games

    Russia's interior minister said Friday that 37,000 police officers have been deployed to protect the 2014 Winter Games in the Black Sea resort of Sochi, repeating official assurances to make the Olympics safe despite the threat of an Islamist insurgency in the region.

Get your Miami Heat Fan Gear!

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category