USOC president nominated for IOC membership

 

AP Sports Writer

The head of the U.S. Olympic Committee was nominated for membership of the IOC on Tuesday, a big boost for U.S. efforts to regain influence on the international Olympic stage.

In the latest sign of improved ties between the two bodies, USOC President Larry Probst was among nine candidates put forward for election to the International Olympic Committee.

The president of the Russian Olympic Committee, Alexander Zhukov, was also nominated. The list also included former Olympic high jump champion Stefan Holm of Sweden and Kenyan distance running great Paul Tergat.

The nominees were approved by the IOC executive board ahead of a two-day meeting featuring presentations by the three cities bidding for the 2020 Olympics and the six candidates for IOC president.

"I am truly honored to be nominated for membership in the IOC, and extremely grateful for the potential opportunity to serve the Olympic Movement," Probst said.

The nominees for IOC membership will be up for election - usually a formality - at the full general assembly in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on Sept. 10.

Probst, chairman of video game publisher Electronic Arts Inc., is in line to become the fourth U.S. member on the IOC, joining Anita DeFrantz, Jim Easton and Angela Ruggiero.

"It would be fair to say the U.S. is a very strong important partner of the IOC," IOC spokesman Mark Adams said. "Larry's nomination is a sign of that and a good sign of the continuing very strong cooperation we have with the USOC."

Also nominated Tuesday were KLM executive Camiel Eurlings of the Netherlands, Mikaela Maria Antonia Cojuangco-Jaworski of the Philippines, Bernard Rajzman of Brazil, Octavian Morariu of Romania and Dagmawit Girmay Berhane of Ethiopia.

Eurlings is set to replace King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, who is relinquishing his IOC position after acceding to the Dutch throne in April.

Probst would be the first USOC president to hold IOC membership since Sandra Baldwin, who resigned from both posts in 2002 after admitting to having lied about her academic credentials.

Baldwin was the second USOC president to quit over an ethics issue. Robert Helmick stepped down from the USOC and as an IOC member in 1991 amid conflict-of-interest allegations.

Bill Hybl served as both USOC president and IOC member from 2000-2001.

The U.S. still remains without a presence on the IOC's policy-making executive board. The last U.S. board member was Easton, who lost his seat in February 2006.

DeFrantz, a former IOC vice president, is running for a spot on the executive board in September's elections in Buenos Aires. She lost previous bids to return to the board.

Without a voice at the top IOC table and holding few top jobs in international sports, the U.S. has lost considerable clout over the years in the Olympic movement - underlined by the stinging defeats for New York and Chicago in their bids for the 2012 and 2016 Games, respectively.

However, under Probst and CEO Scott Blackmun, the USOC has made significant strides in mending fences with the IOC and establishing an international presence. Last year, in a major breakthrough, the USOC and IOC resolved a long-standing dispute over Olympic revenues that had kept the American body alienated from the rest of the world.

The USOC is currently considering a bid for the 2024 Summer Games. The U.S. hasn't hosted a Summer Games since 1996 in Atlanta or the Winter Games since 2002 in Salt Lake City.

Probst is already a member of the IOC's international relations committee, while Blackmun serves on the marketing commission. DeFrantz is chair of the women and sports commission, and Ruggiero heads the coordination commission for the 2016 Winter Youth Games in Lillehammer.

Probst and Zhukov were nominated to the IOC for their roles as national Olympic committee presidents. Six others were put forward as "individual" members and Holm as an athlete.

With Probst and Zhukov, the U.S. and Russia would each have four IOC members. Britain also has four, while Switzerland has the most with five.

Set to join the IOC ranks are two high-profile names from track and field. Holm won the high jump at the 2004 Athens Games. Tergat won the silver medal in the 10,000 meters at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, a year after he won the last of his five successive world cross-country titles. He also won the New York Marathon in 2005.

Separately, four athlete members will be sworn in on Wednesday: shooter Danka Bartekova of Slovakia, rower James Tomkins of Australia, swimmer Kirsty Coventry from Zimbabwe and canoe-kayaker Tony Estranguet of France. They join the IOC after voting among athletes at last year's London Olympics.

Coventry and Estranguet were put forward after former Olympic hammer throw champion Koji Murofushi of Japan and Taiwanese taekwondo fighter Chu Mu-yen were disqualified from the election for breaking campaign rules.

With 13 new members, the IOC membership will grow to 113 in September.

Read more Olympics stories from the Miami Herald

  • The latest news from the USOC - July 9

    Bob Bryan (Sunny Isles Beach, Fla.) and Mike Bryan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) became the first mens doubles team in the Open-era to hold all four major titles along with an Olympic gold medal after winning the mens doubles final at the 2013 Wimbledon Championships, held June 29-July 7 in London. The sibling duo earned a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 victory over to the Croatian/Brazilian pairing of Ivan Dodig and Marcelo Melo in the final. With the win, the Bryan brothers earned their 15th Grand Slam title and improved their record as the winningest mens pairing of all time.

  •  

FILE In this screen shot taken in Moscow, Wednesday, Dec. 2, 2009 of a  computer screen showing an undated photo of a man identified as Chechen separatist leader Doku Umarov posted on the Kavkazcenter.com site. Doku Umarov, a leading Chechen rebel on Tuesday July 2, 2013 called on Islamist militants in Russiaís North Caucasus to disrupt the upcoming Winter Games in the Black Sea resort of Sochi, reversing his previous appeal not to target civilians in the region.  Sochi is hosting the Winter Olympics in February in what has been described as President Vladimir Putinís pet project. The overall bill for the Games stands at $51 billion, making them by far the most expensive Olympics in history

    Column: Will Sochi be secure in wake of threats?

    Until recently, the most interest about the Black Sea resort of Sochi was the staggering $51 billion tab the Russians are picking up to host the Winter Olympics in President Vladimir Putin's backyard.

  • 37,000 police to secure Sochi Games

    Russia's interior minister said Friday that 37,000 police officers have been deployed to protect the 2014 Winter Games in the Black Sea resort of Sochi, repeating official assurances to make the Olympics safe despite the threat of an Islamist insurgency in the region.

Get your Miami Heat Fan Gear!

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category