Bid cities, presidential contenders to make case

 

AP Sports Writer

"The ones who don't take this seriously make a big mistake," Heiberg said.

It was at a similar meeting in 2009 that Rio de Janeiro seized the momentum in the race for the 2016 Games, focusing on the theme that the Olympics had never been to South America and Brazil was an emerging economic force.

Last week, the IOC released a technical evaluation report on the 2020 bid cities to give members as much factual information as possible. The report did not rank or grade the cities, but Tokyo appeared to come out the best overall.

Istanbul is bidding for a fifth time, Madrid is back for a third consecutive time and Tokyo is trying for a second time in a row.

Istanbul is inviting the IOC to take the Olympics to a new region, to a predominantly Muslim country for the first time, to a city that connects Asia and Europe. Tokyo claims to be a "safe pair of hands" at a time of global economic and political uncertainty. Madrid, despite Spain's severe financial troubles, boasts that it would spend far less money than the others on infrastructure because 80 percent of its venues are already in place.

No city has more at stake than Istanbul, following the unprecedented street demonstrations across the country in June. Prime Minister Recep Tayypip Erdogan, facing the biggest challenge to his 10-year rule, has come under international criticism for his crackdown on the protests. Turkey's image has also been hit by a spate of doping cases in recent weeks.

"Although the games will be seven years ahead, what's going on (in Turkey) right now is important to the voting of the members," Heiberg said. "There will be many questions, absolutely. This is a good opportunity for Turkey, for Istanbul, to answer the questions and lay it out in the open how they think, what they're going to do about it."

Read more Olympics stories from the Miami Herald

  • The latest news from the USOC - July 9

    Bob Bryan (Sunny Isles Beach, Fla.) and Mike Bryan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) became the first mens doubles team in the Open-era to hold all four major titles along with an Olympic gold medal after winning the mens doubles final at the 2013 Wimbledon Championships, held June 29-July 7 in London. The sibling duo earned a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 victory over to the Croatian/Brazilian pairing of Ivan Dodig and Marcelo Melo in the final. With the win, the Bryan brothers earned their 15th Grand Slam title and improved their record as the winningest mens pairing of all time.

  •  
FILE In this screen shot taken in Moscow, Wednesday, Dec. 2, 2009 of a  computer screen showing an undated photo of a man identified as Chechen separatist leader Doku Umarov posted on the Kavkazcenter.com site. Doku Umarov, a leading Chechen rebel on Tuesday July 2, 2013 called on Islamist militants in Russiaís North Caucasus to disrupt the upcoming Winter Games in the Black Sea resort of Sochi, reversing his previous appeal not to target civilians in the region.  Sochi is hosting the Winter Olympics in February in what has been described as President Vladimir Putinís pet project. The overall bill for the Games stands at $51 billion, making them by far the most expensive Olympics in history

    Column: Will Sochi be secure in wake of threats?

    Until recently, the most interest about the Black Sea resort of Sochi was the staggering $51 billion tab the Russians are picking up to host the Winter Olympics in President Vladimir Putin's backyard.

  • 37,000 police to secure Sochi Games

    Russia's interior minister said Friday that 37,000 police officers have been deployed to protect the 2014 Winter Games in the Black Sea resort of Sochi, repeating official assurances to make the Olympics safe despite the threat of an Islamist insurgency in the region.

Get your Miami Heat Fan Gear!

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category