Downtown/Biscayne Corridor

Homelessness | MIAMI-DADE

Other Miami-Dade cities deny ‘dumping’ homeless people in downtown Miami

 
 
Miami Beach police officers Pablo Jimenez, left, and Ysidro Llamoca talk with Danielle Wallace, Chris Bissett  and Shawn Patrick Collins at Lummus Park on South Beach on Tuesday June 25, 2013.
Miami Beach police officers Pablo Jimenez, left, and Ysidro Llamoca talk with Danielle Wallace, Chris Bissett and Shawn Patrick Collins at Lummus Park on South Beach on Tuesday June 25, 2013.
PATRICK FARRELL / MIAMI HERALD STAFF

If you go

    What: The Miami-Dade County Homeless Trust executive committee and board meetings, both open to the public

When: 1:15 and 2 p.m. July 1

Where: Stephen P. Clark Center, 111 NW First St., 18th floor, conference room #3


Upload and share your own.

You can share related videos and photos.

Submit: Video Pictures Stories

kmcgrory@MiamiHerald.com

When Miami Beach police officer Ysidro Llamoca encountered Jamie McNeil — shirtless, shoeless, unshaven and scruffy — the beach dweller was preparing to sleep again on the sand dunes of Lummus Park.

Instead of hassling the homeless man, Llamoca offered to help. Fifteen minutes later, McNeil, 34, was in a white van operated by the city’s homeless outreach team, headed for shelter at the Homeless Assistance Center in Miami.

The treatment last week was a far cry from the claim that Miami Beach officers ferry their homeless people across the MacArthur Causeway and deposit them on downtown Miami streets. That assertion has been repeated by Miami Commission Chairman Marc Sarnoff as part of his recent quest to banish homeless people from the struggling downtown business district.

“We’ve caught Miami Beach dumping people in the city [of Miami],” Sarnoff recently told the Miami Herald, accusing Aventura, Surfside and Coral Gables police of the same practice. “Downtown Miami has become the dumping ground for Miami-Dade’s homeless.”

But the cities he cited deny the claim. And while advocates for the homeless have long heard rumors about the practice, they say there is no evidence to support it.

“I’ve never seen it or received any actual reports of it happening,” said Hilda Fernandez, executive director of the county’s Homeless Trust.

The more likely reason that so many homeless people congregate in Miami, Fernandez said, is that Jackson Memorial Hospital, the county courthouse and several crisis intervention centers are all located downtown. Downtown Miami also has a Greyhound station. The modestly priced bus service draws homeless people traveling to and from Miami.

The Homeless Trust is scheduled to meet Monday to discuss, among other things, a proposal to fund more shelter beds in downtown and to finalize its budget.

Claims of homeless dumping aren’t new. In arguing the need to ban street feedings in 2004, former city manager Joe Arriola complained that Miami had long been a dumping ground for the region’s homeless.

The debate found new life in April, when the city commission decided to petition a judge for changes to a landmark 1998 legal settlement known as Pottinger v. Miami. The agreement prohibits Miami police for arresting homeless people for minor offenses without first offering them a bed in homeless shelter.

Sarnoff, who also chairs the Downtown Development Authority, argues that the strict parameters of Pottinger have prevented city leaders from removing the 500 or so homeless people from Miami’s streets. Most local shelters are at capacity, meaning police can do little to punish the homeless who urinate in the street or light cooking fires in public parks.

Sarnoff pointed out that other municipalities aren’t subject to the same rules, and said they sometimes resort to escorting their homeless residents to Miami. That claim, he said, is based on anecdotes he has head from Miami police officers and several of his downtown constituents.

Miami Police spokesman Napier Velazquez said the department has “no documentation” of other municipalities releasing homeless people on the streets of Miami. The anecdotes, however, include a first-person account from attorney Jay Solowsky, who said he saw a Coral Gables police officer drop off a homeless person near 150 W. Flagler St. late one night in 2009.

Read more Biscayne Corridor stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Dutch DJ R3hab, a.k.a. Fadil El Ghould, rocks the Main Stage on Friday, March 22, 2013 for the second weekend of Ultra Music Festival in Miami, Florida. For the first time, the world renown electronic music festival is being held over two consecutive weekends in Bayfront Park, located in the heart of downtown Miami.

    Electronic music

    Miami’s Ultra Fest gets ultra expensive for 2014

    Next year’s Ultra Music Festival — the crowning event of Miami’s annual March madness of electronic dance — is going to seem ultra expensive to all but the fastest-moving ticket buyers.

  •  
Miami Marlins All-Star Jose Fernandez and children with the Kiwanis of Little Havana summer-camp tour the dinosaur exhibit at the Miami Children's Museum on Watson Island, Tuesday, July 9, 2013, in Miami. About three-dozen campers took part in the field trip.

    Miami-Dade

    Marlins pitcher José Fernández tours Miami Children’s Museum with Kiwanis campers

    Miami Marlins All-Star pitcher José Fernández toured the Miami Children’s Museum with about three dozen summer campers from the Kiwanis of Little Havana on Tuesday, July 9. Along their way, they traveled back 200 million years into the past to visit the dinosaurs of the Mesozoic era and all the way into the present for an authentic, adult-like experience in a modern-day grocery store, where the campers got to shop for ingredients to create delicacies from Miami’s many diverse neighborhoods.

  • Miami man shot and killed at bus stop is identified

    Miami police on Wednesday were investigating the fatal shooting of a man at a bus stop.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK