Brazil

Security concerns could cast a shadow on 2014 World Cup in Brazil

 

Similar stories:

  • Confed Cup Live: AP follows the final day action

  • Brazil begins 500-day countdown for the 2014 World Cup

  • Blatter: Confed Cup a success despite unrest

  • Protests highlight grievances of Brazil’s emerging middle class

  • Confed Cup Live: AP follows the final day action

mwhitefield@MiamiHerald.com

Earlier this week, FIFA General Secretary Jerome Valcke tried to put a positive spin on the protest-marred Confederations Cup and said the World Cup would go on as planned in Brazil.

“There is no Plan B and, by the way, I have never received any official offer from any other countries around the world to stage the World Cup in 2014,” he said. The Confederations Cup, said Valcke, has created thousands of jobs in Brazil and “we are doing plenty of good things.’’

And he emphasized, “There is security.’’

Brazil did seem to have its bases covered before the Confederations Cup. It spent nearly $900 million buying helicopters with high-tech vigilance equipment, installing state-of-the-art command centers and purchasing other high-tech gadgets. It invested in training and signed a $7.2 million contract with iRobot Corp., a Bedford, Mass. company for 30 robots capable of defusing bombs.

“The idea is to put the robot in harm’s way rather than a person,’’ said Tim Trainer, a vice president at iRobot.

Similar robots were used to check the structural integrity of buildings after the 9-11 attacks, investigate caves in Afghanistan for weapons caches, and to do video surveillance and radiation mapping after the Fukushima nuclear disaster in Japan, he said.

The 50- to 60-pound PackBot robots sent to Brazil are “multi-mission’’ machines with sensors to detect hazmet, chemical, biological, bomb and radiation threats. They can also investigate, lift and move suspicious packages — a mission they undertook during the Confederations Cup.

But one thing the PackBot can’t control or inspect is the human factor. “The protests aren’t really applicable to what we provide,’’ Trainer said. “We cover what we believe is a piece of the security picture.’’

While holding mega-events potentially may help Brazil as it tries to position itself as a “world-class country,’’ they also come with risks, said Barbara Kotschwar, a research fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics.

“They put more of a magnifying glass on a country,’’ said Holder. “In this case, the protests got far more coverage than the Confederations Cup.”

Still, Castelar said he doesn’t think that the protests will hurt Brazil’s image as it prepares for the World Cup and the Olympic Games.

“Actually, I think the protests present a more positive view of Brazil in a sense that people now realize that Brazilians aren’t so hypnotized by soccer that they don’t pay attention to anything else,’’ he said. “I don’t think this is a negative for Brazil. It’s not a protest against the World Cup; it’s a protest to convince the government to spend money wisely and fight corruption.’’

But Holder isn’t so sure that continued massive protests won’t hurt Brazil’s image. They could lead to costly business disruptions if they become more violent and continue to snarl traffic, he said.

“Already, I have feedback from clients who were stuck in traffic going to the airport during the protests. They got out of their cabs and were dragging their luggage on foot through not the best neighborhoods and some of them still ended up missing their flights,’’ he said.

During a news briefing earlier this week, Brazilian Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo said that despite the protests, “Brazil will be able to hold the World Cup up to the expectations of our country and the world.’’

And he went even further, predicting that Brazil’s team would reach the Confederations Cup final on Sunday. Brazil’s 2-1 victory over Uruguay on Wednesday assured it a spot in the finals and gave the sports minister at least something to cheer about.

Read more Americas stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category