The readers’ forum

Time to end chronic homelessness

 

The Homeless Task Force of the Miami Downtown Development Authority studied chronic homelessness and, a year ago, issued a report outlining 17 recommendations for action. The primary item was to ask the Miami-Dade County Homeless Trust to address the specific issues of Miami’s unique, chronic and persistent homeless population and to develop an action plan to reduce homelessness downtown.

There was also a call to increase emergency and permanent housing for homeless people, support of programs and facilities assisting homeless individuals suffering from mental illness and a review of the 1997 Pottinger settlement to address current conditions.

One year later, the people of Miami are still waiting for solutions to these issues. We are not alone in our plea. A December 2009 University of Central Florida report commissioned by the Homeless Trust recommended: “Increase the number of low-demand emergency beds so that people do not have to sleep in out-of-doors locations.”

If some segments of Miami’s homeless population resist available shelter beds because of programmatic restrictions, low-demand beds should be made available so that all can safely sleep indoors.

As chairman of the DDA task force, I praise the Homeless Trust for its amazing work over the past 20 years in providing shelter and hope for 90 percent of our community’s homeless population. Now it is time to launch an action plan addressing the remaining 10 percent — add the necessary beds and do what needs to be done to end chronic homelessness in Miami-Dade County.

Rolando Montoya, chairperson, Miami DDA Homeless Task Force,

Miami

Read more Letters to the Editor stories from the Miami Herald

  • The readers’ forum

    Fare hike for Special Transportation Services is fair

    In the July 20 letter to the editor Fare increase for disabled ‘un-American,’ Evan Flugman expressed concerns over the recommended 50-cent Special Transportation Service (STS) fare increase that is included in the proposed Miami-Dade County budget for fiscal year 2014-2015.

  • How to pick qualified jurists

    As a lawyer who has been practicing in Miami-Dade for 40 years, and appearing regularly before the area’s judges, I would agree with the major theme of Joe Cardona’s July 26 column, Better ways to pick judges. Elections aren’t the best path to a quality bench, yet I strongly disagree that elections haven’t produced a strong local judiciary. The anonymous opinions of lawyers expressed in bar polls is that the overwhelming majority of our local judges do a good job. Applicants to the Judicial Nominating Commission almost always have quality résumés. The pay for judges, while not generous, may be far less than successful experienced lawyers, but compares favorably with the average income as statistics reflect. Judicial elections have not prevented Miami-Dade from providing us an overwhelming number of capable jurists.

  • Where’s the outrage?

    If most of the Muslims of the world are decent, peace-loving citizens, then where is their outrage against the Taliban, Al Qaeda and the other violent murderous Islamics? They kill schoolgirls for the crime of seeking an education, or throw acid in their faces, they set off bombs in crowds of civilians, and they bomb mosques and churches. In Mali, where the situation was horrible, European forces are trying to restore peace.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category