Border deal improves chances of immigration bill in Senate

 

McClatchy Washington Bureau

The chances of the Senate passing a comprehensive immigration bill improved dramatically Thursday after a bipartisan group of senators reached an agreement to double the number of Border Patrol agents and add 700 miles of fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The deal is expected to lure previously reluctant Republican senators, who said they couldn’t support the bipartisan “Gang of Eight” bill unless it included tougher action to secure the border with Mexico.

“We’re extremely enthusiastic that a bipartisan agreement is at hand,” said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., a Gang of Eight member. “We are on the verge of a huge breakthrough on border security. With this agreement we believe we have the makings of a strong, bipartisan, final vote in favor of this immigration reform bill.”

Even as the agreement was being drafted into amendment form, its authors predicted it will be the salve that delivers Republican votes and perhaps serves as a selling point to Republicans in the House of Representatives, where immigration restructuring faces a tougher challenge.

“I think this amendment has the ability, if passed, to bring a bipartisan effort behind reform that would then send the bill to the House,” said Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., who co-authored the compromise with Sen. John Hoeven, R-N.D. “I don’t know anybody that has proposed a tougher measure, when you look at it all combined.”

Earlier this week, House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, indicated that he’d adhere to the so-called “Hastert Rule” – named after former House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill. – and not bring an immigration bill to the House floor unless it had the support of a majority of Republicans.

At his weekly news conference, Boehner said that for an immigration overhaul bill to pass his chamber it had to ensure “that our borders are secure” and give "confidence that those who came here illegally are not given special treatment, that hardworking taxpayers are being respected and confidence that a majority of both parties have had their say and support the final product.”

The Corker-Hoeven plan proposes a “border surge” that would increase the number of Border Patrol agents along the U.S.-Mexico line from 20,000 to 40,000, along with requiring the additional miles of fencing.

The price tag for the additional agents, fencing and the purchase of unmanned aerial drones to patrol border activity comes to about $30 billion, lawmakers said.

A Congressional Budget Office report released this week said the Gang of Eight immigration bill would reduce federal budget deficits by almost $200 billion over the next 10 years. The report helped fuel the “border surge” idea, Schumer said.

“We didn’t have the CBO report. We didn’t know we had the dollars,” Schumer said. “We have them now. And we still keep to our goal of not costing the treasury a nickel. The CBO report was a true game-changer.”

Corker predicted that his proposal will attract at least 15 Senate Republicans. It got two Thursday: Mark Kirk of Illinois and Dean Heller of Nevada. Kirk voted against bringing the immigration bill to go to the Senate floor last week “because it didn’t have a strong border-security provision.”

Email: wdouglas@mcclatchydc.com, kthibodeaux@mcclatchydc.com; Twitter: @williamdouglas, @thibodeauxkevin

Read more Politics Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Obama talks Syria, Egypt with Saudi king

    The White House says President Barack Obama has discussed the crises in Egypt and Syria with King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, a Mideast powerhouse.

  • Justice Department curbs its ability to target journalists over leaks

    Attorney General Eric Holder, who’s been under fire in recent months for targeting reporters as part of leak investigations, released revised guidelines Friday that would make it more difficult for the federal government to seize journalists’ email and phone records.

  • Justice Dept tightens guidelines on reporter data

    The Justice Department announced Friday that it is toughening its guidelines for subpoenaing reporters' phone records, and also raising the standard the government needs to meet before it can issue search warrants to gather reporters' email.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category