Jury seated in Zimmerman case

 
 
George Zimmerman, seated left, waits for the jury arrival with defense attorney Mark O'Mara in Seminole circuit court on the eighth day of his trial, in Sanford, Fla., Wednesday, June 19, 2013. Zimmerman has been charged with second-degree murder for the 2012 shooting death of Trayvon Martin. (AP Photo/Orlando Sentinel, Joe Burbank/Pool)
George Zimmerman, seated left, waits for the jury arrival with defense attorney Mark O'Mara in Seminole circuit court on the eighth day of his trial, in Sanford, Fla., Wednesday, June 19, 2013. Zimmerman has been charged with second-degree murder for the 2012 shooting death of Trayvon Martin. (AP Photo/Orlando Sentinel, Joe Burbank/Pool)
Joe Burbank / AP

dovalle@MiamiHerald.com

Sixteen months after George Zimmerman fatally shot Trayvon Martin during a brawl that drew worldwide attention and sparked racial tension, an all-female jury — all but one of whom are white — will decide if the neighborhood watchman is guilty of murder.

Lawyers will present their opening statements Monday morning. The six jurors plus four alternates were sworn in Thursday afternoon.

Each of the jurors, during the nine-day selection process, promised to be fair and impartial. The panel was chosen despite prosecutors’ unsuccessful attempts to remove two of the women. Legal experts, who believe people of color might side with prosecutors in this case, were surprised at the lack of racial diversity and split on the effects of the all-female jury. The jurors were chosen from a pool of 40 potential jurors — 24 were women, at least five were African American and at least two were Hispanic.

Coral Gables criminal defense attorney Jose Baez said he believes the jury “clearly favors the defense,” adding that women may side with Zimmerman over issues of self-defense. Even though jurors are not supposed to be dismissed for reasons of race, Baez said the defense won by limiting people of color on the panel.

“Race was the elephant in the room and they slayed it,” said Baez, who earned an acquittal in the Casey Anthony Orlando murder case.

Miami criminal defense lawyer Larry Handfield said he thought prosecutors could benefit from the jury’s gender.

“When you have a panel that is dominated by females, they bring in the parental, maternal instincts of being sympathetic toward the victim, who was a young kid in high school,” Handfield said.

Trayvon was a 17-year-old student at Dr. Michael M. Krop High in North Miami-Dade. He had been suspended from school and was visiting his father in Sanford.

The night of the shooting, Trayvon walked to a nearby store to buy candy and a drink. On the way back, Zimmerman — a neighborhood watch volunteer with a penchant for calling 911 — called police to report a suspicious person.

Prosecutors say Zimmerman “profiled” the teen, then shot him during the scuffle inside the gated community. Zimmerman claims self-defense, saying Trayvon attacked him and that he shot after the teen bashed his head into the concrete. Trayvon was African American. Zimmerman is white Hispanic.

Police in Sanford, which has a history of racial tension, did not initially arrest Zimmerman. National civil rights leaders demanded an arrest, staging rallies in Sanford and other U.S. cities.

Finally, Gov. Rick Scott appointed prosecutors from Duval County; they charged Zimmerman with second-degree murder more than six weeks after the shooting.

Although the jurors who will decide the case are known only by numbers to protect their identities, some information about them came out during two rounds of questioning in court:

•  B29: A lighter-skinned black woman, possibly Hispanic, who lived in Chicago at the time of Trayvon’s death. The woman, who works at a nursing home, told lawyers that she prefers reality shows to news and worried about her eight children.

•  B76: A middle-aged white woman, a married mother of two grown children, who remembered wondering why Trayvon was out late at night. For that reason, prosecutors sought unsuccessfully to strike her from the panel.

Read more Trayvon Martin stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category