Smith holds off Larson for Nationwide win at Michigan

 

The Sports Network

Regan Smith extended his lead in the Nationwide Series point standings after winning Saturday's Alliance Truck Parts 250 at Michigan International Speedway.

With a threat of rain throughout the 250-mile race, Smith grabbed the lead with 14 laps to go when then leader Parker Kligerman was forced to pit for fuel. Smith had to hold off rookie Kyle Larson in the closing laps. He beat Larson to the finish line by just 0.33 seconds for his second win of the season and the third of his Nationwide career.

Smith started 20th after he struggled in qualifying earlier in the day.

"It seemed like once when we got the car in front, it really came to life," Smith said. "It was kind of surprising in qualifying. We thought we were going to be way better than that. We were scratching our head a little bit after that and weren't quite sure what happened. But I knew we had a good race car."

Smith dedicated his Michigan win to Jason Leffler, who was killed during a sprint car event this past Wednesday night at Bridgeport Speedway, a 5/8-mile dirt track in New Jersey. Smith is donating a portion of his race winnings to a trust fund that has been established for Leffler's 5-year-old son, Charlie Dean.

"We want to make sure that we remember he had a son, Charlie Dean, and as a racing community, we have to play a part in helping him out and helping him grow as a person as he gets older," Smith said. "We're certainly going to miss Jason."

The funeral service for Leffler will be held on Wednesday in Cornelius, N.C.

Smith now holds a comfortable 58-point lead over Sam Hornish Jr., who suffered engine failure late in the race and ended up finishing 32nd.

This year, Smith is driving the No. 7 Chevrolet for JR Motorsports, which is co-owned by Dale Earnhardt Jr. Smith won his first race in the series when he made his debut with the team in the season-finale at Homestead, Fla. last November. He also won at Talladega in May.

Larson finished in the runner-up spot for the second time this season. In March, he placed second to Kyle Busch at Bristol. Larson, who drives for Turner Scott Motorsports this season, said this race was an emotional one for his team. Leffler spent part of his Nationwide career with Steve Turner's racing organization.

"I definitely didn't think we had a second-place car in the beginning of the race," Larson said. "But we'll take a second-place finish. It was pretty emotional for our whole team. Everybody at Turner Scott Motorsports was really close to Jason Leffler. It would have been nice to get a win for all of them and Jason, but I know that win will come shortly."

Paul Menard finished third, followed by Busch and Trevor Bayne, who won last weekend's rain-delayed race at Iowa. Busch, who has won six Nationwide events this year, did not lead any laps at this 2-mile racetrack.

Brad Sweet, Chris Buescher, Elliott Sadler, Nelson Piquet Jr. and Brian Scott completed the top-10.

Earlier in the day, Austin Dillon won his record fourth consecutive pole in the series. He dominated the first half of the race by leading a total of 61 laps. But Dillon suffered a flat tire right after a restart on lap 69, which led to a 20th-place finish.

Read more Nationwide Series stories from the Miami Herald

  • Sadler aiming for another 'Dash 4 Cash' payday

    Daytona was the first of four races in this year's "Dash 4 Cash" bonus program from Nationwide Insurance, which is the title sponsor of NASCAR's second-tier series. Elliott Sadler, Brian Vickers, Austin Dillon and rookie Kyle Larson were those drivers eligible for a $100,000 bonus there. Sadler's finish at Daytona was two and three spots in front of Dillon and Larson. Vickers placed 13th.

  • NASCAR - Nationwide - New England 200 Preview

  • Kenseth wins Nationwide race at Daytona

    Matt Kenseth won Friday night's Nationwide Series race at Daytona International Speedway after he received pushing help from James Buescher during a two-lap overtime finish.

Get your Miami Heat Fan Gear!

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category