FIU men’s basketball’s first season in Conference USA will end with the regular season after the NCAA officially banned the team from 2013-14 postseason play because of a low multiyear academic progress rate.
The NCAA also put a limit on the men’s basketball team’s activity time to five days and 16 hours. New FIU coach Anthony Evans worked under similar limitations at Norfolk State and produced a 26-win season while turning around the APR.
The Tuesday announcement had been anticipated at FIU for more than a year. Indeed, in last week’s meeting of the Board of Trustees athletic committee, FIU athletic director Pete Garcia told the committee the school definitely would receive such a ban and needed to correct academic shortcomings before football suffered a bowl ban and $300,000 assessment.
The NCAA can deliver the ban if the four-year APR is under 900 or the two-year APR is under 930. The APRs announced Tuesday represent the 2008 to 2012 academic years. Along with eight wins, an 833 2010-11 single-season APR prompted the firing of Isiah Thomas in April 2012.
Transfers and more academic stumbles in the wake of Thomas’ firing led to the 2011-12 single season APR plunging even further to 750. FIU’s four-year APR was 858.
At last week’s committee meeting, Garcia and Student-Athlete Academic Center director Phil Moses said better technology and more staff at the SAAC would help turn around academic issues facing men’s basketball and football. Football has a 930 multi-year APR, but had a poor 2012-13 year.
No such issues besmirch swimming and diving and tennis. Multiyear APRs of 986 and 992, respectively, led all FIU teams.





















My Yahoo