Pro-Assad forces retake strategic city of Qusayr in major setback for rebels

 

McClatchy Newspapers

Syrian government forces took control of the city of Qusayr early Wednesday in a major setback for rebels trying to topple President Bashar Assad.

The government announced that its forces had retaken the city, which had been in rebel hands for the past year, after two weeks of fighting and were now moving through the neighborhoods they had captured disarming explosive devices that the rebels had left behind.

Rebels, confirming they had abandoned Qusayr, said they had left "dozens of fighters" behind to protect wounded civilians.

The final moments for the rebel presence in Qusayr, which once had a population of about 30,000, came after days in which rebels in other parts of Syria vowed to send reinforcements. But only a few were able to reach the city, which sits near the border with Lebanon, and they reportedly were as poorly equipped as the force they were sent to help.

News reports said that Syrian government forces and fighters from the Lebanese group Hezbollah allowed the rebels to withdraw to the nearby town of Dabaa.

There was no official word on rebel or government casualties. A rebel spokesman last week had said his forces had taken "heavy losses" in the fighting.

The strategic blow, however, might be severe. Qusayr was an important way station for rebels smuggling arms and people into Syria, and the Reuters news agency quoted a Syrian general describing the city as a linchpin in efforts to break the grip the rebels have held on much of central Syria since last summer.

"Whoever controls Qusayr, controls the center of the country and whoever controls the center of the country controls all of Syria," Brigadier General Yalya Suleiman told Beirut-based Mayadeen television, Reuters reported.

The battle marked the first major intervention by Hezbollah in the fighting, and its participation was considered a key element in the rebel defeat. The Hezbollah presence also set off an outcry from the rebels’ primary backers, including the United States, which demanded last week that it withdraw its forces.

Last week, Hezbollah fighters returning from Qusayr said that the city had been largely cleared of rebels then and that they were laying siege to the few areas where rebels remained.

The rebel retreat came after a day in which the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which tracks the fighting, reported that government planes bombed rebel positions and the Syrian Arab Red Crescent reported that the Syrian government had denied it entry into the city because fighting still raged

In addition to the city itself, rebel forces lost control of a number of nearby towns and villages in the government offensive, and their once strong grip on much of the countryside appears to have waned. The meager rebel reinforcements that reached Qusayr took more than a week to arrive, a sign that they could no longer move freely to the city, and at least one group of reinforcements was ambushed by the Syrian army as it tried to reach the city.

An anti-government activist in the city of Yabrud, south of Qusayr, said that some fighters also had traveled from Yabrud to Qusayr to the support the rebels. But the rebel reinforcements were small in number and no better equipped than the fighters they were going to aid.

“The groups who are coming have very little ammunition,” said Yazed al Hasan, a spokesman for the Farouq Brigades, one of the main rebel groups in Qusayr.

It was unclear how many civilians remained in Qusayr when the rebel forces withdrew. The Syrian Opposition Coalition, an umbrella group for the opposition against the government, repeatedly said in the final days of the battle that thousands of civilians were trapped by the fighting.

But most civilians had left the city, others said.

Email: denders@mcclatchydc.com; Twitter: @davidjenders

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
In this Friday, July 4, 2014 photo, Protestant priest Gregor Hohberg, Rabbi Tovia Ben-Chorin and Imam Kadir Sanci, from left, show a model of the planned prayer and education building House of One prior to an interview with The Associated Press in Berlin. House of One will house a synagogue, a Christian church and a mosque.

    Interfaith house of prayer to be built in Berlin

    A rabbi, an imam and a priest start praying together under the same roof. It may sound like the start of a joke, but hopes are high it will become reality in Berlin.

  •  
FILE - In this Sept. 2012 photo, the tiny islands in the East China Sea, called Senkaku in Japanese and Diaoyu in Chinese are seen. Japan says it will give names to five uninhabited islands as part of a group in the East China Sea on Friday, Aug. 1, 2014, a move likely to spark anger from other claimants China and Taiwan. (AP Photo/Kyodo News, File) JAPAN OUT, MANDATORY CREDIT

    Japan names islets in disputed area, around nation

    Japan said Friday that it will name five uninhabited islands as part of a group in the East China Sea, a move likely to spark anger from other claimants China and Taiwan.

  •  
Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida, left, shakes hands with his Vietnamese counterpart Pham Binh Minh, right, as they pose for photos before their talks behind closed doors in Hanoi, Vietnam on Friday August 1, 2014. Japan said it will provide Vietnam six vessels as part of a grant aid package that will boost Hanoi’s maritime security patrol capacity at a time the country is locked in a territorial standoff with China in the South China Sea.

    Japan provides Vietnam with 6 vessels

    Japan will provide Vietnam with six vessels as part of a grant aid package that will boost Hanoi's maritime security patrol capacity at a time the country is locked in a territorial standoff with China in the South China Sea.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category