In the camps

Pentagon: No weekend detainee release from Guantánamo

 

crosenberg@MiamiHerald.com

The Pentagon flatly refuted reports Saturday that it had released two men from the prison camps in Guantánamo Bay to Mauritania and said the most recent transfer took place nine months ago.

Erroneous reports circulated on the Internet throughout the day, prompting Army Lt. Col. Todd Breasseale to reject them on behalf of the Defense Department.

“There were 166 detainees there yesterday, last week, last month. There remain 166 detainees there today,” he said.

Military and civilian sources added on condition of anonymity, because they were not authorized to comment on the topic, that the Obama administration had not even filed notice with Congress of its intention to send a Guantánamo captive to the North African nation, a procedural prerequisite to a transfer.

The last release was in September when the United States repatriated Canadian Omar Khadr to his homeland to complete his eight-year sentence for the grenade killing of an American soldier in a firefight in Afghanistan.

The wrong reports circulated against a backdrop of President Barack Obama’s renewed vow to empty the detention center where, as of Saturday, the military said medical forces were force-feeding a record 37 hunger-striking captives.

Army Lt. Col. Samuel House said from the prison that Navy medical workers counted 103 low-value detainees as hunger strikers on Saturday and were administering tube-feedings to four in the prison hospital.

“The detainees in the hospital do not currently have any life-threatening conditions,” House said by email from the remote U.S.-run prison camps in southeast Cuba.

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category