Dolphins Notebook

Miami Dolphins sign second-round pick Jamar Taylor

 

abeasley@MiamiHerald.com

The Dolphins and Jamar Taylor on Wednesday finalized a four-year, $3.6 million contract that will pay roughly $2 million in guaranteed money, The Miami Herald has learned.

Taylor, a second-round pick in April’s NFL Draft, is the team’s highest draft pick to sign his rookie deal. Defensive end/linebacker Dion Jordan, the No. 3 overall pick, remains unsigned.

Taylor was back at practice Wednesday after undergoing sports hernia surgery last week, but was unable to participate.

The cornerback said he’s unsure if he will be healed in time for minicamp June 11-13, but he expects to be ready for the start of training camp in late July.

“As long as I’m back healthy and I’m back running, I’m going to try to make it happen from there,” said Taylor, who added that the need for surgery was a bit of a surprise.

“It adds fuel to the fire,” he said.

Wallace absent

Star receiver Mike Wallace missed the Dolphins’ organized team activities Wednesday because he was dealing with a family emergency.

The practice was voluntary, but Wallace had attended the one session open to the media last week, making his absence Wednesday noticeable.

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin has a policy of not speaking about players not at OTAs, and stood by that policy Wednesday. Armon Binns took Wallace’s repetitions with the first-team offense and had an up-and-down day marred by drops.

In fact, nearly the entire passing game had an off day Wednesday, with the defense taking it to the offense.

In a span of five snaps during 11-on-11 drills, Ryan Tannehill had a potential interception dropped by Philip Wheeler and threw an interception that Koa Misi returned for a touchdown.

About the only receiver making plays was Rishard Matthews, who made a tough catch in traffic and then caught a touchdown pass on a go route over Richard Marshall.

“I was a defensive coach [Wednesday],” Philbin joked during his media session after practice.

Starks out again

•  Randy Starks, who has been sitting out all non-mandatory activities this spring to protest his franchise-tag designation, also was missing Wednesday.

• League rules prohibit Jordan from attending any spring workouts because his school, Oregon, is on the quarters system.

• Offensive linemen Dallas Thomas (shoulder) and Lance Louis (knee) also were limited by injury Wednesday.

• The Dolphins waived wide receiver Taylor Stockemer.

• Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland made wholesale changes to his personnel department, most notably promoting Anthony Hunt to director of pro scouting. Hunt was previously a national scout for the organization. Additionally, the team named Joe Schoen its assistant director of college scouting, Adam Engroff as a national scout and Cody Rager as a West Coast area scout.

Familiar visitor

Three years after his career was ended by a string of injuries, Chad Pennington returned to the Dolphins’ sideline, but this time it was as a coach.

The team announced Pennington was a visiting consultant helping with the quarterbacks, advising Tannehill and Matt Moore during lulls in practice. The team did not make Pennington available to comment afterwards.

“He’s wanting to help, which makes a big difference,” Tannehill said. “It’s exciting for me to work with a guy who played at a high level for a long time. Any pieces of information I can pick up from him I’m willing to soak up.”

He had better do so this week, as Pennington’s time in South Florida appears limited to that. Philbin has no current plans to bring him in as a full-time assistant.

Read more Miami Dolphins stories from the Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category