Sunday might be the biggest sports day ever in the city of Indianapolis, with the momentum-infused Indiana Pacers hosting a home playoff game the same day as the Indianapolis 500 for the first time ever.
Meanwhile, among Heat fans back in Miami, the mood is somewhat less celebratory.
Panic and doubt do not a party make.
Chris Bosh said, Our backs are against the wall, and I think this is what we need right now.
Oddly, he might be right.
The Big 3-era Heat was forged from this kind of doubt. First, everybody outside of Miami hated LeBron James and nobody thought he and Dwyane Wade could coexist. Then critics branded the whole thing a failure when a championship wasnt won that first year. Last season at this time, doubts resurfaced as the Heat trailed in each of its past three playoff rounds.
Now? An NBA Eastern Conference finals tied 1-1 with the next two games in Indiana has more than just Heat fans wringing hands. Its a holiday for all the old doubters. Turning point? asked the ESPN.com headline. Is there an Eastern shift of power?
Me, I think all of the consternation is premature and that everything will be just fine.
Unless the Heat loses Game 3 on Sunday.
Then Ill get back to you.
• Its Memorial Day weekend in America, a time of somber reflection in which we honor our fallen war heroes the best way we know how: with booze-soaked barbecue parties.
• Wade made a surprise appearance to the delight of a local teen who had asked him to be her prom date. Everyone was thrilled, with the possible exception of the boy who actually was her prom date.
• James was the only unanimous choice on the All-NBA first team and it was barely news. As the Pacers George Hill said Friday night, Theres only one person scarier than him. Thats God.
• Answer: Thunder star Kevin Durant donating $1 million to Oklahoma tornado relief efforts. Question: For real, what NBA player stood tallest this week even though he wasnt even playing?
• ESPN set a noon kickoff for UMs Sept. 7 home football game against Florida, though UM lobbied for a night game and Canes fans are upset over the early start. Seriously? Ever hear Packers fans whine about snow?
• The Pittsburgh Penguins were the first NHL team to reach the conference finals. I dont wanna say the Stanley Cup playoffs take a long time, but the players playoff beards are now floor length.
• No horse racing Triple Crown again after Oxbow won last weeks Preakness. I had an idea to finally end the long Triple Crown drought, but officials rejected my idea to let Miguel Cabrera be a jockey.
• Defenders Reshad Jones and Randy Starks missed a Dolphins workday related to contract matters, and local reporters did their best to pretend a guy missing a practice in May was a big deal.
• Answer: Las Vegas puts the Dolphins projected over/under line for 2013 wins at 7.5. Question: Any concern Dolfans have gotten too excited by the teams offseason moves?
• The Dolphins FinsWeekend fundraiser was held. Highlight was a tie between the $700,000 raised for local charities and Lauren Tannehill
Don Shula finished fifth in an ESPN greatest-NFL-coach poll, after the network rejected Miamis idea to reword the question, Who is the greatest coach to have a Perfect Season?