Annett set for return at Charlotte after Daytona injury

 

The Sports Network

He was medically cleared for the 300-mile race at Charlotte following his MRI on Monday.

"Obviously, I can't wait to get back into the No. 43," Annett said. "It has been a long three months, and I am more than ready to jump back in the car. The accident at Daytona was disappointing for our team, but I'm very grateful for the amount of support I had from the team, NASCAR, family, friends and fans, and not to mention the outstanding medical team that helped me through all of this. While it was really hard to be on the sidelines, I realize that it was even more important to heal properly."

Aric Almirola, who drives for Petty in the Sprint Cup Series, substituted for Annett in the No. 43 car in March at Phoenix (the second race of the season). Reed Sorenson had been behind the wheel of that car since then.

Annett is expected to make his 140th career Nationwide start, including his ninth at Charlotte. His best finish here is 10th, which came one year ago. Annett finished a career-best fifth in the 2012 series point standings.

"It's always fun to race at Charlotte," he said. "Since it's a 'home' race for most of the teams, it's cool to see so many family and friends get to experience what we do every weekend. It's a fast mile-and-a-half track, and we typically run well at the bigger tracks, so hopefully we can get a decent run my first time back in the car."

Regan Smith enters this race with a 28-point lead over Sam Hornish Jr., while Elliott Sadler is presently 42 points behind Smith.

"It's been a good start to the season for us," Smith said. "We certainly want to keep that rolling this weekend. We want to keep the good forward momentum going. We had an opportunity to test (Wednesday at Charlotte) and worked through a lot of different things that we've been wanting to try with data on the race cars and things like that. So hopefully we can use that to continue to build on the points lead and have a good weekend this weekend."

Smith won at Talladega and finished seventh at Darlington earlier this month.

Kyle Busch, Kevin Harvick, Kasey Kahne, Matt Kenseth and Joey Logano are those Sprint Cup regulars scheduled for this race. Busch and Mark Martin share the record for most Nationwide victories at Charlotte with six each. Busch has not won here since May 2010.

Forty-five teams are entered in the History 300.

Series: NASCAR Nationwide. Date: Saturday, May 25. Race: History 300. Site: Charlotte Motor Speedway. Track: 1.5-mile oval. Start time: 2:45 p.m. ET. Laps: 200. Miles: 300. 2012 Winner: Brad Keselowski. Television: ABC. Radio: Performance Racing Network (PRN)/SIRIUS NASCAR Radio.

Read more Nationwide Series stories from the Miami Herald

  • Sadler aiming for another 'Dash 4 Cash' payday

    Daytona was the first of four races in this year's "Dash 4 Cash" bonus program from Nationwide Insurance, which is the title sponsor of NASCAR's second-tier series. Elliott Sadler, Brian Vickers, Austin Dillon and rookie Kyle Larson were those drivers eligible for a $100,000 bonus there. Sadler's finish at Daytona was two and three spots in front of Dillon and Larson. Vickers placed 13th.

  • NASCAR - Nationwide - New England 200 Preview

  • Dillon wins another Nationwide pole at Daytona

    Austin Dillon continued his dominance in Nationwide Series qualifying this season by winning the pole for Friday night's Subway Firecracker 250 at Daytona International Speedway.

Get your Miami Heat Fan Gear!

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category