Guantánamo prison spokesmen refuse to identify the hunger strikers. But the Justice Department has been notifying the attorneys of captives who have become so malnourished that they require forced-feedings. Twenty-three prisoners' attorneys or family members have, in turn, notified The Miami Herald of their identities.

Hussain Almerfedi, 36, a Yemeni man who has never been charged with a crime at Guantánamo's war court. The Obama administration cleared him for release "with appropriate security measures" in January 2010. Almerfedi won a federal court unlawful detention suit on July 8, 2010, but the U.S. Appeals Court for the District of Columbia Circuit overturned the ruling nearly a year later.
Moath al Alwi, about 35, a Yemeni man whose lawyer Ramzi Kassem received notice he was injured during the April 13 raid on the communal Camp 6 that put the once showcase prison under lockdown, and treated. Kassem said Alwi was shot in the chest with rubber bullet pellets. A federal judge upheld Alwi's indefinite detention on Dec 30, 2008, denying his habeas corpus petition. He has never been charged with a crime at Guantánamo's war court. He was among the first captives to arrive at the prison, in January 2002, and in January 2010 was classified as an "indefinite detainee."

Tariq Ba Awdah, 34, a Yemeni man whose lawyer says he's been on an uninterrupted hunger strike since February 2007. "I haven't tasted food for over six years," he wrote his lawyer, Omar Farah, in April. "The feeding tube has been introduced into my nose and snaked into my stomach thousands and thousands of times." He has never been charged with a crime at Guantánamo's war court. In January 2010, a federal task force approved him for conditional return to his homeland, a third country or transfer to the United States if the prison camps in Cuba are closed. It said he was eligible for conditional release, if the security situation in Yemen improves -- or a viable third-country settlement or rehabilitation program is found.

Mohammed Bawazir, 33, a Yemeni. His lawyer John Chandler says the firm went to federal court to oppose his force feeding in 2006, and failed. He has never been charged with a crime at Guantánamo's war court. In January 2010, a federal task force approved him for conditional return to his homeland, a third country or transfer to the United States if the prison camps in Cuba are closed. It said he was eligible for conditional release, if the security situation in Yemen improves -- or a viable third-country settlement or rehabilitation program is found.
Ahmed Belbacha, 44, an Algerian man whom the Obama administration disclosed last year has been cleared for release. He has never been charged with a crime at Guantánamo's war court.

Jalal Bin Amer, 40, a Yemeni man whom the Obama administration disclosed last year has been cleared for release. He has never been charged with a crime at Guantánamo's war court.

Jihad Diyab, 41, a Syrian man whom the Obama administration disclosed last year has been cleared for release. He has never been charged with a crime at Guantánamo's war court.

Mohammed Ghanem, in his late 30s, a Yemeni man who has never been charged with a crime at Guantánamo's war court and and is classified as an "indefinite detainee." He was among the first captives to arrive at the prison, in January 2002. His attorney, Michael Rapkin, says he has been force-fed since at least May 22.















My Yahoo