Coach K returns to coach USA Basketball

 

The Sports Network

USA Basketball announced Thursday that Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski will return to guide the U.S. Men's National Team through 2016.

Since becoming the head coach of Team USA in 2005, Krzyzewski's teams have compiled a 62-1 record and claimed top honors in four of five FIBA or FIBA Americas competitions. Team USA also captured Olympic gold in both 2008 and 2012 under the winningest coach in Division I men's basketball.

The 66-year-old Krzyzewski owns a record of 957-297 in 38 years on the collegiate level, including four national championships in 33 years at Duke. He had previously indicated that the 2012 Olympics would be his last run as national coach.

"It is tough to give up something you've absolutely loved doing for seven years, the people you're doing it with, and most importantly, the country you're doing it for," said Krzyzewski. "As a result of my ongoing desire to coach, I've decided I'd like to continue as head coach of the Men's National Team especially since USA Basketball wanted me to do so. It just seems like the right thing to do."

Over the next four years, the Men's National Teams will conduct a team mini- camp in Las Vegas, Nev., July 22-25, 2013; compete in the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup (formerly the FIBA World Championship) Aug. 30-Sept. 14 in Spain; if necessary, participate in the 2015 FIBA Americas Olympic Qualifying Tournament (dates and site TBD); and if the USA qualifies, compete in the 2016 Summer Olympic Games (Aug. 5-21) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

"There is no greater honor than to coach your country's team and to be afforded the unique opportunity to be the National Team coach three times is incredible," said Krzyzewski. "I do not take that responsibility lightly. Working with the people at USA Basketball, particularly (USA Basketball Chairman) Jerry Colangelo, has been remarkable."

Team USA is currently riding a 50-game winning streak under Coach K.

"We've seen the value of continuity and Coach K's return gives our national team program another four years of continuity," said Colangelo. "Together we have been able to build on the program's successes of each year and again establish the United States as the world's number one basketball country. Repeating our performances from the previous four years, which included winning gold at the 2010 FIBA World Championship and the 2012 London Olympics, will be quite a challenge, but it is one we look forward to undertaking."

This past season at Duke, Krzyzewski's team went 30-6, the program's 13th 30- win season, and made its 18th straight trip to the NCAA Tournament. Advancing to the Elite Eight, it marked the 13th time in the last 16 seasons that Duke reached at least the Sweet 16.

Read more Olympics stories from the Miami Herald

  • The latest news from the USOC - July 9

    Bob Bryan (Sunny Isles Beach, Fla.) and Mike Bryan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) became the first mens doubles team in the Open-era to hold all four major titles along with an Olympic gold medal after winning the mens doubles final at the 2013 Wimbledon Championships, held June 29-July 7 in London. The sibling duo earned a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 victory over to the Croatian/Brazilian pairing of Ivan Dodig and Marcelo Melo in the final. With the win, the Bryan brothers earned their 15th Grand Slam title and improved their record as the winningest mens pairing of all time.

  •  
FILE In this screen shot taken in Moscow, Wednesday, Dec. 2, 2009 of a  computer screen showing an undated photo of a man identified as Chechen separatist leader Doku Umarov posted on the Kavkazcenter.com site. Doku Umarov, a leading Chechen rebel on Tuesday July 2, 2013 called on Islamist militants in Russiaís North Caucasus to disrupt the upcoming Winter Games in the Black Sea resort of Sochi, reversing his previous appeal not to target civilians in the region.  Sochi is hosting the Winter Olympics in February in what has been described as President Vladimir Putinís pet project. The overall bill for the Games stands at $51 billion, making them by far the most expensive Olympics in history

    Column: Will Sochi be secure in wake of threats?

    Until recently, the most interest about the Black Sea resort of Sochi was the staggering $51 billion tab the Russians are picking up to host the Winter Olympics in President Vladimir Putin's backyard.

  • 37,000 police to secure Sochi Games

    Russia's interior minister said Friday that 37,000 police officers have been deployed to protect the 2014 Winter Games in the Black Sea resort of Sochi, repeating official assurances to make the Olympics safe despite the threat of an Islamist insurgency in the region.

Get your Miami Heat Fan Gear!

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category