Reshad Jones was back at work Tuesday. Randy Starks was still nowhere to be seen.
A day after sitting out the Dolphins’ organized team activities in protest of his contract, Jones was back in his familiar spot Tuesday: with Miami’s first-team defense.
Jones, a safety in the final year of his rookie deal, declined to talk about his contract situation Tuesday, saying that he missed Monday’s session for “personal reasons.”
Starks has boycotted the team’s voluntary sessions this spring to show his displeasure about being hit with the franchise tag designation. Starks, who wants a multiyear deal, will participate in the mandatory minicamp in mid-June.
Dolphins coach Joe Philbin declined to speak about any player who wasn’t on the field Tuesday.
Jones, a fourth-year pro who is the lowest-paid member of the Dolphins’ starting secondary, said he plans to participate in the rest of the spring’s voluntary sessions.
“I’m not really focused on that right now,” Jones said when asked if he would be OK playing the season on his current deal. “I’m just going to continue do what I’m doing, work my butt off. Everything works out.”
Rookie Dion Jordan, the Dolphins’ first-round draft pick, also was absent Tuesday — but it wasn’t to send a message. NFL rules prohibit Jordan from working until training camp because his school, Oregon, is on the quarters system.
Dallas Thomas (shoulder) and Lance Louis (knee) both were present but unable to practice as they rehabilitate injuries.
Getting up to speed
Philbin is like Ricky Bobby. He wants to go fast.
The pace of Tuesday’s OTA was quick, and a sign of things to come — on the practice field and in games. The Dolphins ran some fast-paced, no-huddle offense at the start of the 2012 season, with limited success.
“We wanted that tempo last year, but we’d all agree that we really didn’t get to the pace we wanted to,” receiver Brian Hartline said. “Coming off the first day, establishing that pace and the expectations, was even faster than last year.”
It will take some getting used to. More than a few players mentioned being winded after Tuesday’s session, the first 11-on-11 work veterans have gotten since December.
This and that
• Cameron Wake has been named the Dan Marino Most Valuable Player of the 2012 Dolphins, as voted by the South Florida media. Wake led the team with 15 sacks and was named to his second Pro Bowl.
Mike Pouncey won the team’s Don Shula Leadership Award, and Brandon Fields won the Nat Moore Community Service Award for the second consecutive season.
• Last week’s FinsWeekend raised more than $700,000 for the Miami Dolphins Foundation, which will go to local charities and events in the community.
• Receiver Rishard Matthews has changed his uniform number to No. 18 this season.






















My Yahoo