With Obama in the dark, administration planned how to stage-manage news of IRS scandal

 

McClatchy Washington Bureau

The admission and apology sparked widespread news coverage. Obama said those stories were the first he heard of the scandal.

“Obviously, the entire thing was an incredibly bad idea,” Acting IRS Commissioner Steven Miller told the Senate Finance Committee on Tuesday. “I think what we tried to do . . . is get the apology out and start the story. The report was coming, and we knew that.”

While Miller suggested last week that he was a passive participant in the plan to plant a question as a way of managing the release of the story, he said Tuesday that he helped devise the ploy.

“I will take responsibility for that,” Miller said, suggesting a botched effort at damage control. “We had all the facts. . . . We thought we’d get out an apology.”

A Treasury official who demanded anonymity to speak freely added Tuesday that agency officials learned in April that Lerner might make a speech acknowledging the targeting and “expressed some concern about the idea of a speech, but ultimately deferred to the IRS on that issue.”

The speech never happened, and Treasury learned later that Miller might make an apology in congressional testimony, the official said. Eventually Treasury staff “was made aware that Lerner would be asked a question about the issue at the ABA conference on Friday, May 10. Treasury again deferred to the IRS on their interest in making a public apology,” the Treasury official said.

White House officials were aware of the first two possibilities but not the planted question, the Treasury official said, adding that Lew was unaware of the plant.

Senators were incredulous Tuesday that the IRS had failed to notify lawmakers who’d been inquiring about alleged IRS harassment for nearly two years. These lawmakers were told repeatedly by Miller and other top IRS officials that there was no targeting.

Miller maintained that words and names such as “tea party” and “patriot” were used as shortcuts, not targeting, to flag applications for special scrutiny.

But the IRS letters sent to Susan Martinek, who sought tax-exempt status for the Coalition for Life of Iowa, suggest otherwise.

Martinek said that the IRS said her application was ready for approval but first required a letter signed by her board members that the anti-abortion group wouldn’t picket in front of Planned Parenthood offices.

“That’s outrageous,” said Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, suggesting that groups were asked to forgo their First Amendment rights in order to get tax-exempt status for their organization.

Lesley Clark of the Washington Bureau contributed to this article.

Email: khall@mcclatchydc.com, dlightman@mcclatchydc.com; Twitter: @KevinGHall, @Lightmandavid

Read more Politics Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Obama talks Syria, Egypt with Saudi king

    The White House says President Barack Obama has discussed the crises in Egypt and Syria with King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, a Mideast powerhouse.

  • Justice Department curbs its ability to target journalists over leaks

    Attorney General Eric Holder, who’s been under fire in recent months for targeting reporters as part of leak investigations, released revised guidelines Friday that would make it more difficult for the federal government to seize journalists’ email and phone records.

  • Justice Dept tightens guidelines on reporter data

    The Justice Department announced Friday that it is toughening its guidelines for subpoenaing reporters' phone records, and also raising the standard the government needs to meet before it can issue search warrants to gather reporters' email.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category