Egypt’s Morsi dispatches army to Sinai after suspected Islamists snatch soldiers

 

McClatchy Foreign Staff

Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi ordered army reinforcements to the restive Sinai on Monday amid rising tensions there over the kidnapping of seven soldiers by suspected Islamist militants.

In a break from past practices, Morsi said he would not negotiate with kidnappers, which some interpreted as an effort by the beleaguered president to appear tough in the face of his falling popularity and a general decline in security across the country. Presidential spokesman Omar Amer dodged a question about whether Morsi’s stance was for political purposes. “We are proceeding as we are,” Amer said.

But he also said that “all options are on the table to free the kidnapped soldiers,” though he did not specify what options might be under consideration if negotiations had been ruled out.

The Sinai has been increasingly unstable since the 2011 uprising that toppled former Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak. A largely ungoverned region, run by militants and Islamist groups, the northern part of the peninsula has been defined by instability and lawlessness.

It’s the second time Morsi has deployed the army to the Sinai since he assumed the presidency 11 months ago. In August, Morsi dispatched troops there after 16 soldiers were killed by still unidentified Islamist assailants who later died when two hijacked Egyptian army vehicles were destroyed by Israeli troops as they approached the Israeli border. Morsi used the incident to dismiss three top officials. Most of the troops dispatched then left after two weeks.

The kidnapping renewed fears of widespread violence in the northern Sinai. Shipping in the Suez Canal has been brought to a halt by the latest kidnapping, according to Egyptian state media, and the government closed both the al Awja border crossing into Israel and the Rafah crossing into Gaza.

Sinai residents have long complained that the central government in Cairo has ignored the region, leaving it a backwater. “We are discussing plans and strategies to develop Sinai’s health, education and economy,” Amer said.

The kidnapped soldiers were snatched Thursday while traveling by minibus to the city of al Arish, and they appeared in a two-minute video Saturday. Blindfolded, the men pleaded for Morsi’s help and implied they’d been tortured, though they appeared to be in good health. The video shows a rifle barrel tapping each soldier to indicate it was his turn to speak. Six of the seven said they were 20 years old; the seventh said he was 21.

While Bedouin tribesmen in the Sinai frequently kidnap tourists for ransom, the video suggested a political motive behind the soldiers’ abduction.

“The demands of the brothers, Mr. President, is the release of political prisoners from Sinai,” a hostage, who identified himself as Cpl. Ibrahim Sobhi Ibrahim, 20, said in the video. “Please, Mr. President, release them quickly. We can no longer tolerate torture.”

Gen. Ahmed Wasfy, head of Egypt’s 2nd Division, led the latest deployment, the same general who led troops earlier this year in Port Said, where a verdict over a soccer match created weeks of instability in the northern port city.

Al Azhar Mosque, Egypt’s premiere Sunni religious institution, called on the kidnappers to release the soldiers and to stop these “heinous crimes,” according to a statement published on a state television website.

McClatchy special correspondent Amina Ismail contributed to this report.

Email: nyoussef@mcclatchydc.com; Twitter: @nancyayoussef

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
In this Thursday, April 17, 2014 photo provided by the Australian Defense Force, Commander James Lybrand, Mission Commander ADV Ocean Shield, left, and Chris "Sharkie" Moore, Phoenix team leader, watch the launching of the Phoenix International Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) Artemis as it is craned over the side of Australian Defense Vessel Ocean Shield before launching it in to the southern Indian Ocean in the search of the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. Up to 11 aircraft and 12 ships continue to scan the ocean surface for debris from the Boeing 777 that disappeared March 8 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people on board. (AP Photo/Australian Defense Force, Bradley Darvill) EDITORIAL USE ONLY

    Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help

    A Malaysian official met Sunday with relatives of passengers who were aboard the missing jetliner and discussed ways of providing them with financial assistance, as an unmanned submarine continued to search for any signs of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.

  •  
A police officer search Catholics before they attend a Mass to celebrate Good Friday in Abuja, Nigeria Friday, April 18, 2014. Nigerian Catholics joined Christians around the world in celebrating Holy Week ahead of Easter Sunday.

    Nigerians mark Easter amid mourning and fear

    With little to celebrate, Nigerians marked Easter Sunday with heightened security against a spreading Islamic uprising, mourning the deaths of at least 75 bomb blast victims and fearful of the fate of 85 abducted schoolgirls.

  •  
A local resident inspects burnt-out cars after night fight at the checkpoint which under control of pro-Russian activists in the village of Bulbasika near Slovyansk on Sunday, April 20, 2014. Pro-Russian insurgents defiantly refused to surrender their weapons or give up government buildings in eastern Ukraine, despite a diplomatic accord reached in Geneva and overtures from the government in Kiev.

    Shootout in eastern Ukraine leaves 1 dead

    The Ukrainian and Russian governments are reporting a shootout at a checkpoint set up by pro-Russian insurgents in eastern Ukraine that has left one person dead and others hospitalized with gunshot wounds.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category