Having reached the top 15 welterweight rankings of the four major sanctioning bodies provides Ed Paredes a platform to seek major fights.
So far, Paredes’ search has been futile, but one can’t fault the Hollywood resident for trying.
Spearheaded by his promotional company, Delray Beach-based Acquinity Sports, Paredes went public last week with his big-fight aspirations, and this time he targeted the biggest fish in the welterweight pond.
Paredes (33-3-1, 22 KOs) would like a shot at Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Given Mayweather’s anticipated busy fight schedule the next two years, Paredes covets the lucrative and career-changing opportunity of facing the sport’s top pound-for-pound fighter and pay-per-view performer.
“If the opportunity came up and he wanted to do something, I’ll take it in a heartbeat,” Paredes said.
Becoming a Mayweather opponent immediately changes a fighter’s tax bracket.
Robert Guerrero, who lost a lopsided decision against Mayweather two weeks ago, reportedly earned $2.5 million for the fight.
“Floyd Mayweather just made Guerrero by giving him the payday of his life,” Paredes said. “I’d love to be one of the guys who gets a call to be his opponent.”
Guerrero indeed secured the best purse of his career against Mayweather but had built a sufficient profile on the premium cable networks. Guerrero also is a former world champion in two separate weight classes.
Paredes, 28, still lacks a world title belt, and although he has fought on ESPN2 he has yet to cross the threshold into HBO or Showtime. The notable bout on Paredes’ résumé was a TKO win over former world champion Vivian Harris last July.
Mayweather’s fight against Guerrero was the first of a six-bout deal in a 30-month span with Showtime.
But as he explores the welterweight landscape for the remainder of his deal, the odds are long that Mayweather will even consider Paredes.
Henry Rivalta, Acquinity Sports’ director of boxing, said the path to Mayweather will likely require that Paredes defeat another of the welterweight belt holders.
“We’re ready to prove he deserves a world title shot by fighting any of the top 147-pounders who’ll get in the ring with him,” Rivalta said in a statement.
If all else fails, there is the Andre Berto factor. Guerrero and Victor Ortiz landed fights with Mayweather after hard-fought victories against Berto, a two-time welterweight champion and Miami native.
Berto, looking to rebound from the loss to Guerrero last November with his return bout against veteran Jesus Soto Karass on July 27, still has enough name recognition and remains a top-tier welterweight. And, as Berto’s battles with Guerrero and Ortiz proved, his fights are TV-friendly.
Late Saturday
• Argentina’s Lucas Matthysee solidified his knockout reputation with a third-round TKO win over International Boxing Federation junior-welterweight champion Lamont Peterson.
Matthysse (34-2, 32 KOs) floored Peterson (25-1) with a solid left hook to the head late in the second round of their nontitle fight in Atlantic City. Matthysse finished Peterson with two additional knockdowns, and referee Steve Smoger stopped the bout after the third knockdown at 2:14.
On the same card, IBF welterweight champion Devon Alexander scored a seventh-round TKO over Lee Purdy.
• Shane Mosley fought for the first time outside the United States in hopes of breaking a long winless drought. Mosley, 41, crossed the border into Mexico and won a close, unanimous decision over Pablo Cano.
A three-division world champion, Mosley (47-8-1) traded combinations with Cano (26-3-1) at a brisk pace throughout the 12-round welterweight bout. All three judges scored the fight for Mosley, 115-113.
The win was Mosley’s first since stopping Antonio Margarito four years ago.
Mosley was 0-3-1 in his previous four bouts.




















My Yahoo