STATE BUDGET

Gov. Rick Scott to veto tuition hike

 

Herald/Times Tallahassee Bureau

Gov. Rick Scott on Monday will veto a 3 percent increase in Florida college tuition and approve $65 million in extra Medicaid funding to hospitals that provide much of the care to the poor, including Jackson Memorial in Miami and Broward Health in Fort Lauderdale.

As Scott signs the state’s $74.5 billion budget before leaving on a trade mission to Chile, his rejection of a tuition increase was expected. He has criticized the idea for months, calling it a “tax” on middle-class families.

Scott’s veto message says Florida should be proud that its tuition is lower than most states’ and that students should be able to earn degrees and find jobs without being saddled with “massive debt.”

The veto could draw a legal challenge from the Legislature. Tuition is technically not a line item subject to a veto, but is wedged into the budget as proviso language tied to an appropriation that Scott will not veto. In 2007, then-Gov. Charlie Crist took similar action, and lawmakers did not challenge it in court.

Seeking to build a case for a veto, Scott’s office asked state university presidents to sign a letter saying they did not want more tuition revenue this year. University leaders collectively decided not to sign the letter, and balked at getting in the middle of a fight between Scott and House Speaker Will Weatherford, R-Wesley Chapel, who led the charge for a tuition hike.

Nevertheless, universities never planned on the additional tuition revenue, worth about $18 million, because they anticipated Scott’s veto. And anyway, by law tuition will automatically rise 1.7 percent to keep up with inflation.

In a statement, Weatherford said he would continue to work with university presidents and the state Board of Governors to move the university system “forward to the benefit of our students.”

“The rumor that the governor will veto tuition increases tomorrow is not a surprise,” he said in Sunday’s statement.

The state’s largest hospitals were relieved to learn Scott will not spike $65 million aimed at easing the transition to a new Medicaid payment system. In return, hospitals agreed not to ask for more such money next year.

Safety-net hospitals lobbied heavily for the extra money, saying a new payment system, known as DRG for diagnosis-related groups, caused massive cuts in Medicaid funding. The House insisted on including transition dollars, and the Senate agreed to the $65 million.

Scott’s office hinted to hospitals last week that he would reject the money and, in response, they ramped up their lobbying. Those familiar with the governor’s rationale said he felt the formula should stand as is, without consideration of winners and losers.

After hearing from hospitals and their advocates, Scott backed down, but not without obtaining concessions from the hospitals that the funding would last for one year. About 20 hospitals sent letters to Scott pledging to reject additional transition dollars next year, many using a form letter.

“Since these funds are intended to mitigate the cost of transition, I will request elimination of the recurring appropriation in the 2014-2015 state fiscal year if you approve the funding for the upcoming state fiscal year,” most letters said.

Among those who sent them were Jackson Health System President and CEO Carlos Migoya and Broward Health CEO and President Frank Nask.

When he signs the budget Monday, Scott will talk about increased transparency and accountability with the DRG system, which pays hospitals according services they provide and the complexity of a patient’s condition rather than the length of their hospital stays. It is similar to how the federal government pays hospitals for Medicare.

Hospitals may have had an easier time agreeing not to ask for more transition money next year because starting in October 2014, they may no longer be relying on the state for Medicaid funding. That’s when Florida anticipates switching to a statewide managed care system under which HMOs would oversee Medicaid patients and their care. The state will pay the managed-care companies, which in turn will pay hospitals.

Monday’s budget signing will take place in Tallahassee, and will be the first time Scott will take such action in the capital.

Two years ago, he signed the budget at a private event at The Villages, a Central Florida retirement community.

Last year, Scott signed the budget at an elementary school in suburban Jacksonville to highlight a $1 billion increase in spending for schools.

Information from the Associated Press is included in this report. Contact Steve Bousquet at bousquet@tampabay.com.

Read more Florida stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category