IN MY OPINION

Michelle Kaufman: Landon Donovan’s leadership missing as U.S. prepares for World Cup qualifiers

 
 

In this April 3, 2013 photo, Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder Landon Donovan controls the ball during the second half of a CONCACAF Champions League semifinal against Monterrey in Carson, Calif. Donovan has been left off the 29-man U.S. roster for a training camp ahead of a trio of World Cup qualifiers next month.
In this April 3, 2013 photo, Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder Landon Donovan controls the ball during the second half of a CONCACAF Champions League semifinal against Monterrey in Carson, Calif. Donovan has been left off the 29-man U.S. roster for a training camp ahead of a trio of World Cup qualifiers next month.
Bret Hartman / AP

Who’s leading

Major League Soccer: East — New York (21), Houston, Kansas City and Montreal (20). West — Dallas (24), Portland (18) Real Salt Lake, Los Angeles (17).

NASL: Carolina (11), Minnesota, Edmonton,Tampa Bay (8).

English Premier League: Manchester United (88), Manchester City (78), Chelsea (72), Arsenal (70), Tottenham (69).

German Bundesliga: Bayern Munich (88), Dortmund (66), Leverkusen (62), Schalke (52), Freiburg (51).

Spanish La Liga: Barcelona (91), Real Madrid (81), Atletico Madrid (72), Real Sociedad, Valencia (59).

Italy Serie A: Juventus (87), Napoli (78). AC Milan (69), Fiorentina (67), Udinese (63).

French Ligue 1: Paris Saint Germain (77), Marseille (70), Lyon (63), Nice and Lille (60).

On the tube

Sunday: Tottenham vs. Sunderland (11 a.m., Fox Soccer Channel), Newcastle vs. Arsenal (11 a.m., ESPN2), New York vs. Los Angeles (1 p.m., ESPN2), Barcelona vs. Real Valladolid (3 p.m., BeIN Sport USA), DC vs. Kansas City (5 p.m., Univision).


mkaufman@MiamiHerald.com

Will Landon Donovan ever rejoin the U.S. national team? Will he play in the Brazil World Cup next summer? That remains to be seen. It looks like he won’t be on the team anytime in the near future, and that’s a shame, because he has been such a good leader on and off the field.

U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann on Thursday named his 29-man roster for training camp leading up to five upcoming matches, and Donovan was left off the list, as was former U.S. captain Carlos Bocanegra.

Donovan, the 31-year-old midfielder and all-time leading U.S. scorer, has not played for the national team since a game at Mexico last August. He took a four-month sabbatical after the end of the Major League Soccer season, and has missed seven World Cup qualifiers and two friendlies.

Donovan returned to the Los Angeles Galaxy lineup last month, but has not done enough to earn a spot on the U.S. squad in Klinsmann’s estimation.

“I think Landon is catching up,” Klinsmann said. “We’re all excited that he has decided to continue to play. That was the first major answer that we needed to get, and now he’s just working himself back into shape and back into a playing rhythm. He will get sharper and more confident with every game he’s going to play now. So we’ll watch that, we’ll monitor that and we’ll decide then when to bring him back into our picture.

“It’s not going to be for these upcoming games, but maybe later on we’ll definitely expect him back in the team.”

Donovan, who played in the past three World Cups, told Reuters: “I’m disappointed but I’ll keep going and I’ll keep working hard and I hope that I get the chance. I would love to be in Brazil next year [for the World Cup] but I can’t completely control that. My job is to make it as difficult as possible for the coach to leave me out.”

He told ESPNFC.com he needed the break because he wasn’t enjoying the sport the way he once did.

“I did not want to feel like I was playing out of obligation,” he said. “I wanted to feel like I was playing because I still enjoyed it.

“I want to be back with the national team, whether it is playing five minutes in qualifiers or the Gold Cup. I want to be back there, and if at the end of the day I give everything I have and don’t get back there, so be it. But if I do and I earn it back and deserve it, it will feel really, really good.”

Bocanegra turns 34 this week and has not been in the U.S. team picture for a few months. He didn’t play the February match at Honduras and was not invited for two March qualifiers. He went a few months without much playing time at Racing Santander in Spain’s second division.

“He knows that if anything happens to one of those center backs that he’ll get called in right away,” Klinsmann said, “but I think we are blessed with our center back position.”

Right back Steve Cherundolo, who returned to the Hannover lineup in April after sitting four months with a knee injury, was also left off the roster. Timmy Chandler is out with a torn knee ligament.

One older player who did make the cut was three-time World Cup veteran DaMarcus Beasley, who turns 31 this week. The players will gather in Cleveland next Sunday and the United States plays Belgium in a friendly May 29. They then play Germany on June 2 in Washington.

Read more Michelle Kaufman stories from the Miami Herald

  •  

Honduran Soccer player Carlos Pavon with the soccer tournament Copa de Oro in the Miami Herald studio on Wednesday, June 26, 2013.

    In My Opinion

    Gold Cup fever begins to set in

    The 2013 Gold Cup opens at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif., on Sunday, and then heads to Miami’s Sun Life Stadium on Friday with Honduras-El Salvador and Haiti-Trinidad and Tobago matchups. Among the many story lines in the 12-nation regional championship are these two burning questions:

  •  

Brazil's Neymar puts the ball underneath his shirt during a training session of Brazil on the eve of the soccer Confederations Cup final match between Brazil and Spain at Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Saturday, June 29, 2013.

    Michelle Kaufman: Brazil-Spain a dream final in Confederations Cup

    After weeks of clashes between police and protesters on the streets of Brazil, Sunday offers a confrontation everybody is excited about, a dream Confederations Cup final between Brazil and Spain at 96,000-seat Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro.

  •  

Christian Benteke, right, of Belgium celebrates after scoring a goal as Geoff Cameron, left, of the U.S. Mens National Team watches during their International Friendly match at FirstEnergy Stadium on May 29, 2013 in Cleveland.

    In My Opinion | Michelle Kaufman

    Michelle Kaufman: Americans have plenty to improve after Belgium beating

    Jurgen Klinsmann rarely is at a loss for words, but the U.S. national coach struggled to find an answer Wednesday night when a reporter asked him to name three good things to take from a 4-2 loss to Belgium that wasn’t as close as the score suggests.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category