RELOCATION

Future of Herald building site in hands of Genting

 

Contact info for the Miami Herald Media Company

The new address of the Miami Herald Media Company is 3511 NW 91 Ave., Miami, FL 33172.

To reach the newsroom of The Miami Herald, call 305-376-INFO (4636). To send a press release or news tip, send email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com or browardnews@MiamiHerald.com.

To reach El Nuevo Herald newsroom, phone is 305-376-3535 and 305-376-3532. To send press releases and news tips, locales@elnuevoherald.com.


tolorunnipa@MiamiHerald.com

The Miami Herald’s remaining employees closed down the newspaper’s longstanding building at One Herald Plaza on Thursday night.

Next home for the Miami Herald Media Company: Doral.

The future of the 50-year-old building overlooking Biscayne Bay is in the hands of Genting, the Malaysia-based gaming company that bought the property in 2011.

Genting has said it would demolish the Herald headquarters as part of its plans to construct a luxury hotel with up to 500 rooms and hundreds of luxury condos that will be bordered by a pedestrian bay walk. Ultimately, the company wants to build a casino, but state lawmakers in Tallahassee have not given any green light for destination casinos.

With no approval for gambling on the horizon, company officials at Genting said they are committed to a scaled-down development plan in the short term. “We want to create something that’s cool and going to draw people here,” Bill Thompson, senior vice president of development for Resorts World Miami, told the Herald in March.

Before it can begin construction, Genting must go through the process of tearing down the 750,000 square-foot news hub that has been home to the Herald since 1963. The company has said it will first remove asbestos from the site before starting the demolition process, which could take months.

Miami city officials said no building demolition or building permit applications had been filed with the city as of Thursday.

After state lawmakers rejected Genting’s bid for expanded resort gaming in 2012, the global conglomerate significantly scaled back its plans for the downtown site.

Back in 2011, Genting announced plans for a grandiose $3 billion complex that would have been home to the world’s largest casino on a 13.9-acre site. The plan called for 5,200 hotel rooms to anchor a massive 10 million-square foot development with a huge lagoon and more than 50 restaurants and bars.

The company bought the site for $236 million from the Miami Herald’s parent company, McClatchy Co., hoping new gambling laws would help bring in millions of international tourists and billions of dollars in revenue.

With no go-ahead for gambling, Genting has said it plans to move forward with a “phased approach.” The company abandoned plans for a petition drive to get a casino initiative on the 2014 ballot six months ago.

The Florida Legislature did not take up gambling expansion this year, instead opting to commission a study to look at various options for gaming in the state. Lawmakers also voted overwhelmingly to outlaw so-called Internet cafes, with proponents celebrating it as a crackdown on gambling in Florida.

“This will be one of the largest contractions of gaming that we’ve experienced in our state, certainly in the last 50 or 100 years,” said Rep. Carlos Trujillo, R-Miami, before the 110-6 vote in March. Gov. Rick Scott signed the bill days later. In that context, it’s not clear if lawmakers would get behind the idea of expanded gambling in future years.

Nonetheless, Genting has stood by its multimillion-dollar plans, stating that the site is a good investment even without a casino.

“You start out with the waterfront property and that improves the value across everything else,” said Thompson. “Then you stay fluid based on what’s happening in the marketplace.”

The plan calls for new towers on the site where the Herald building currently sits and a redevelopment of the historic Boulevard Shops on Biscayne Boulevard. Genting is looking to build a 50-foot wide promenade alongside Biscayne Bay, with three or four waterfront restaurants.

Genting plans to build a boardwalk on the bay that will allow pedestrians to connect to the new Museum Park across the Interstate-395 overpass.

Genting hasn’t decided yet whether it will implode the Herald building or bulldoze it, Thompson said in March. By the end of 2013, Genting plans to begin rebuilding the seawall along the bay.

Herald newsroom staff gathered Thursday evening at the downtown newsroom to hold a final farewell toast to the One Herald Plaza building.

Read more Miami-Dade stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
A sign stands at 1448 NW 103rd St. in Miami to let passers-by know the government demolished the house even though the owner was on active military duty.

    Miami-Dade County

    Miami-Dade demolished active-duty soldier’s home

    A federal judge ruled last week that the county should have delayed building-code violation proceedings against the soldier when he asked for a stay while he was in Iraq.

  • Friends and Neighbors

    Friends and Neighbors: Campaign raises money to feed hungry school children

    Local food banks want to help children who often go hungry get what they need to thrive in school. Community support is needed.

  • Friends and Neighbors

    Florida Mayors join forces to say no to bullies

    Looking back at my growing up days, I can remember how school bullies tried to made life miserable for me and a lot of other youngsters. I remember being followed home one day by a bully who wanted to start a fight. When I kept ignoring her, she soon turned, with her followers and went home. Unlike some of today’s bullies, she didn’t try to hit me. She was just all mouth, spitting out insulting remarks.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category