IN THE CAMPS

Guantánamo: 30 of the 100 hunger strikers now being tube-fed

 

crosenberg@MiamiHerald.com

Guantánamo prison staff members were tube-feeding 30 of the 100 hunger-striking captives on Wednesday, the detention center said, reporting an all-time high last reached in 2005.

Three of the captives were being treated in the hospital, said Army Lt. Col. Samuel House, a prison spokesman, although none “currently have any life-threatening conditions.”

The Pentagon’s Southern Command headquarters had earlier sent medical reinforcements to the remote prison camps, to increase the military deployment of Navy doctors, nurses and corpsmen to about 140 to care for the 166 captives at the sprawling detention center in southeast Cuba.

House disclosed the hunger strike figure a day after guards declared a medical emergency in the maximum security prison during a tour of the facilities by journalists representing Al Jazeera, CNN and Time magazine. A prisoner appeared unconscious to guards, said Navy Capt. Robert Durand, the prison’s public affairs officer, so soldiers declared a “Code Yellow,” Guantánamo’s term for a medical emergency.

“Nobody was hurt,” said Durand, noting that there were four Code Yellows declared on Tuesday. “Nothing serious happened” in any of them.

Essentially, he said, hunger strikers are “being lethargic and not having energy.” He attributed Tuesday’s episodes to “a consequence of hunger striking.”

During a visit to the maximum-security lockup in March, Durand said that detainees appeared to faint more frequently while visiting delegations or reporters were at the prison. But he said Wednesday that it was unclear whether Tuesday’s episode during the media visit was “coincidental, opportunistic or legitimate.”

Durand also said by telephone Wednesday that the prison was not at risk of running short of nutritional supplements. The military had earlier in the hunger strike done a stock check and ordered additional supplies.

The prison camps in Cuba have been wracked by hunger strikes almost from the start. The Pentagon set up the offshore detention center in January 2002.

But the most widespread known hunger strike took place in 2005 when, according to records House consulted last month, “we had a detainee population of 575 detainees with 142 detainees choosing to hunger strike in July.”

On average, he said, 30 detainees were “being enteral fed,” the Guantánamo term for the process of snaking a tube up a captive’s nose, down the back of his throat and into his stomach before pumping in a can of nutritional supplement.

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Algerian Djamel Ameziane, a 42-year-old ethnic Berber, has been approved for release but wants to go to Canada, or another country, rather than the nation he fled in 1992. His lawyers have chosen Canada because he lived there for five years, and filed a failed application for political asylum. From Canada he went to Afghanistan, where he was captured in the U.S. invasion.

    IN THE COURTS

    Ex-Guantánamo detainee can’t get his money back

    Federal judge concludes a former Guantánamo detainee may no longer be a threat, but his money is.

  •  
The Kremlin.

    Russia bans congressman, 12 other Americans

    Russia has placed a U.S. lawmaker and 12 other people connected with the Guantanamo Bay detention camp and the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq on its list of those banned from entering the country.

  •  
In this image from video, Eugene R. Fidell, the lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday, July 16, 2014, in an interview with The Associated Press that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

    Bergdahl hires lawyer for military investigation

    The lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category