Any impartial observer who has watched and heard this Heat-Bulls playoff series would have to agree that the behavior of the underdogs suggests that Chicagos famous nickname should be tweaked just a tad.
Used to be the Windy City.
Make it the Whiny City.
I mean, cmon, Chicago. This is Bull. We can all appreciate the frustration, trying to beat the champion Heat with your best player, Derrick Rose, sitting in a suit, stuck halfway between cautious and scared, declining to play even though he has been medically cleared to do so. (Id call him a wimp, but that might be mean.) Luol Deng and Kirk Hinrich also are out injured. It almost doesnt seem fair, almost being the key word there.
If I had a heart, Id feel sorry for them, as Chris Bosh rightly put it.
Trouble is, instead of playing the hand dealt them with a measure of class or grace, the Bulls have been an embarrassment with a thuggery that has included three player ejections and too many technical fouls to count over the past two games. Nazr Mohammeds flagrant shove of LeBron James on Friday night was as blatant a dirty play as youll see.
Meantime, Joakim Noah continues to lead the league in complaining and making his lemon-bite face. You know those TV ads with almost as annoying as ? They should make a new one with the punch line, Almost as annoying as Joakim Noahs samurai hair bun.
Now Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau chimes in. He accuses James of a flop on that hard push by Mohammed. He also all but implied the NBA and its referees are scheming to have Miami win by saying after Fridays loss, Were not going to get calls, thats reality.
Chicago: The Whiny City.
Bulls, in the now-immortal words of Pat Riley, Shut the [bleep] up!
• Happy Mothers Day to all the moms out there! Hope youre as lucky as my mom, who every year always gets from me an emailed photo of a dozen roses. Ah, tradition!
• That reminds me. Kobe Bryant and his mother are feuding in court over her right to sell his memorabilia. Not sure whos less likable here. Someone who seems to be doing a rotten thing, or Kobe on general principle.
• South Florida is given little chance but has bid to host Super Bowl 50 with a proposal that includes celebrity football games played on an aircraft carrier docked in Biscayne Bay. The Dolphins kept saying their unrenovated stadium would never be awarded another SB. Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy.
• Hey heres an idea. Dolphins arrange for that aircraft carrier to accidentally destroy an empty Dolphins stadium with a missile strike so the government will be forced to build team a brand new stadium.
• The Dolphins signed longtime Falcons tackle Tyson Clabo. They think hes good, but evidently not so good that they offered more than a one-year deal.
• The horse part-owned by Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino, Goldencents, finished 17th of 19 in the Kentucky Derby and immediately declared for the NBA Draft.
• This is true: Dwyane Wades girlfriend, Gabrielle Union, was among nominees for Maxims 2013 Hot 100 list of sexiest women, but failed to make it in the reader vote. But Manti Teos imaginary girlfriend finished 69th.