Group unveils what ‘would have been’ for Miami’s Super Bowl bid

 

Dhanks@MiamiHerald.com

South Florida’s long shot bid for the 50th Super Bowl would bring a lavish festival to downtown Miami, with football played on a Navy aircraft carrier docked at Bayfront Park, a zipline ride over Bayside Marina and nightclubs set up on barges in the bay.

Rodney Barreto, head of South Florida’s bid committee for the Super Bowl, outlined the $21 million plan Thursday, but also acknowledged a failed effort for a subsidized renovation of Sun Life Stadium seemed to render the pursuit of the milestone game a futile exercise.

In the campaign for the stadium money, Barreto said a Sun Life rehab was crucial if Miami Gardens was going to win the 50th game over rival San Francisco and that area’s new $1.2 billion stadium. The tax proposal died last week in the Florida Legislature and Thursday’s unveiling conveyed the underdog status.

Several times during his presentation, Barreto referred to the plan for the 2016 game as something that could have been.

“This would have been the main entry,” Barreto said at one point, and described an interactive cell phone feature as a game visitors “would have played.”

Nicki Grossman, Broward’s tourism director, several times corrected Barreto, and had him refer to the plan as something that will happen.

“I want to keep expectations low,” Barreto later joked.

Still, Barreto said hope is not lost and said NFL owners will have a “tough decision” on May 21 when they award the 50th game. The loser will take on Houston for Super Bowl 51. Barreto said South Florida would scale down the plan for the 51st game if it managed to knock out Houston for the consolation prize.

The downtown plan transforms Miami’s commercial core into an NFL street festival, with a Ferris wheel overlooking Biscayne Bay. Barreto said that, despite cutbacks in federal spending, the Navy has agreed to moor an aircraft carrier in the inlet by the American Airlines Arena and cover the decks with artificial grass for celebrity football games.

A translucent football ride, attached to a zip line, would run over the water at Bayside marina, and interactive video displays would play great NFL moments as visitors walked down a closed-off Biscayne Boulevard. Four barges moored off the Intercontinental Miami hotel would house temporary nightclubs.

Dolphins CEO Mike Dee called the failed tax plan the “elephant in the room.” The NFL typically rewards new and renovated stadiums with Super Bowls, and the league’s commissioner, Roger Goodell, was in Tallahassee lobbying for the Dolphin plan.

Dee said even without a $350 million renovation of Sun Life, the South Florida bid has its own merits.

“There has certainly been a lot written in the past week about what is not in this bid,” Dee said. “I was happy to hear today about all of the exciting things that are in the package.”

Read more Miami Dolphins stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin in the fourth quarter against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013.

    IN MY OPINION

    Armando Salguero: Joe Philbin optimistic about Miami Dolphins despite skeptics

    Joe Philbin welcomes a visitor with a warm smile and firm handshake and for the next 30 minutes enthusiastically talks about his Dolphins with a confidence that belies the coach’s first two seasons in Miami.

  •  
<span class="cutline_leadin">building block:</span> Left tackle Branden Albert, above, 

will be the team’s replacement for Jonathan Martin.

    Miami Dolphins’ offensive line is new; time will tell if it’s improved

    The Dolphins’ offensive line, which allowed 58 sacks last season, will have four new starters – and center Mike Pouncey could be out until October. ‘We’ve got a lot of work,’ new left tackle Branden Albert said.

  •  
St. Louis Rams seventh-round draft pick Michael Sam listens to a question during a news conference at the NFL football team's practice facility Tuesday, May 13, 2014, in St. Louis. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

    IN MY OPINION

    Greg Cote: Michael Sam is a distraction to embrace, not avoid

    It’s no surprise that Tony Dungy’s comments this week about Michael Sam – comments that on the surface seemed more benign than inflammatory – have created such a national tempest. Sports are a Petri dish for argument and debate under any circumstances, and when you add the politics of religion and gay issues to the mix, the chances of a quietly civil discussion have pretty much left the building.

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category