At sea, reborn Carnival Sunshine still a work in progress

 

hsampson@MiamiHerald.com

Some passengers on the newly renovated (and renamed) Carnival Sunshine are complaining that the vessel is not quite shipshape.

Parts of the 3,006-passenger ship, previously called the Carnival Destiny, are “still undergoing final finishing work which has been hampered by inclement weather,” according to a spokeswoman.

Those areas include the WaterWorks aqua park and SportSquare recreational area. The Lido pool had also not opened Monday because of “technical issues.”

“As is sometimes the case with both new ships and major refurbishments, some minor issues are being reported with guest staterooms and those are being addressed on an individual basis,” the spokeswoman said.

The ship left Venice on a 12-day cruise Monday, its first voyage since undergoing a $155 million transformation. The ship’s return to service was delayed by a couple of sailings because of reliability and fire safety enhancements that needed to be made in the wake of the disabling Carnival Triumph fire.

Some passengers had complained on message boards on CruiseCritic.com that some rooms didn’t have water and some elevators were not working.

Updated information on conditions and the status of the unfinished work was not available Tuesday afternoon.

Read more Breaking News stories from the Miami Herald

  • Reports: Video shows beheading of South Florida journalist Steven Sotloff

    An Internet video posted online Tuesday purported to show the beheading of South Florida journalist Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State group, which called it retribution for continued U.S. airstrikes in Iraq.

  • CAMPAIGN FINANCE

    High court weighs campaign cash in judicial races

    The Florida Bar said it stands behind its position that judicial candidates should not personally solicit contributions, but that appellate courts across the country have taken differing positions.

  • Ultra

    Ultra Music Festival bans minors

    Festival organizers said the decision to limnit the fest to those 18 and over was ‘made to reinforce and promote the safety of all Ultra Music Festival fans.’

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category