Doesnt it seem like forever since the Heat last played a playoff game in quickly sweeping Milwaukee in the first round?
I dont wanna say its been awhile, but Vladimir and Estragon waited for Godot in Samuel Becketts 1953 play less time than I have waited for Miamis playoff run to resume.
The idle-time mustache that Shane Battier cultivated during the break between games? Its now a full-length ZZ Top beard.
You know Julia Dale, the cute little girl who sings the national anthem at Heat home playoff games? Shes now a married mother of five.
Heres how long its been since the previous playoff game: the Heat Dancers are now the Golden Oldies.
In 1965, the Kinks wrote Tired Of Waiting. Heat fans can relate.
Now, on Monday night, at last, the second round begins here against the survivor of Saturday nights Game 7 between Chicago and Brooklyn. Only one could win, but Miami couldnt lose either way.
The Heat dominated the Nets during the regular season, while the Bulls are missing their best player and also are physically banged up elsewhere. Miami would be a huge favorite over either.
Chris Bosh said this week, There is no such thing as an easy road to a championship. Hmm. I dont know.
If there is an easy road to a championship, it seems like the rested Heat might have found it and are purring along it with the top down.
The light on that road had been red for a laborious week. On Monday, finally, it turns green again.
• Update: Brandon Jennings is now saying he misquoted himself and that he actually meant the Bucks would beat the Heat in six games if they met next season.
• Happy Cinco de Mayo, everybody! Non-imbibers refer to this as a drinkers holiday. The rest of us refer to this as a day ending in y.
• The Panthers are watching as the NHL playoffs are under way. A team from Canada, where hockey was born, last won the Stanley Cup in 1993. That reminder is not helping our self-esteem issues, said Canada.
• In a lottery this week, the Panthers won the second overall pick in the upcoming NHL draft. They are expected to select someone youve never heard of from a Canadian junior team with a funny name.
• A Chicago hockey reporter was fired by Comcast after saying in a live report that the Blackhawks had enjoyed such a tremendous amount of sex during the regular season. She meant to say success. Although, knowing hockey players, what she did say might also have been accurate.
• The Marlins Juan Pierre had his 600th career steal. You know how Vine, a new mobile app, lets you create 6-second videos? The 2013 Marlins might be the only team to share their season highlights on Vine.
• I really must get my eyes reexamined. Just looked at the baseball stats and thought I saw ex-Marlin John Buck leading the National League in RBI.
• Sentences I Never Thought Id Write (one in a series): Mike Piazza performed for one night only with the Miami City Ballet.
• In college baseball, Miamis 40-year streak of making the NCAA regional playoffs could be in jeopardy. Hope this is a mistake, but I just Googled thin ice and saw a picture of Jim Morris.