NASCAR suspends, fines two RCR crew members

 

The Sports Network

NASCAR suspended and fined two crew members from Richard Childress Racing on Tuesday for their involvement in a physical altercation that occurred after Friday night's Nationwide Series race at Richmond International Raceway.

Thomas Costello and Michael Scearce from RCR's No. 2 Nationwide team have each been suspended for the next four races and fined $15,000. Costello and Scearce have also been placed on probation until Dec. 31.

According to a release from NASCAR, "Costello and Scearce were found to be in violation of Section 12-1 (Actions detrimental to stock car racing. Involved in an altercation with another competitor after the race had concluded)."

Costello, 35, and Scearce, 50, were both arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault after the altercation happened in the driver/owner motorhome lot at Richmond.

The incident reportedly occurred following a post-race confrontation between Scott, the driver of the No. 2 car, and Nelson Piquet Jr., who drives the No. 30 car for Turner Scott Motorsports. Scott and Piquet made contact with each other while battling for position in the closing laps of the 250-lap event.

When Scott confronted Piquet on pit road after the event had concluded, Piquet kicked him in the groin. A shoving match between both of their teams then ensued before race officials had to separate them.

Scott claimed that Piquet shoved him into the wall while they were battling for position. He also noted there had been an on-going feud between them. Piquet was upset with Scott after he "door-banged" him during the cool-down lap.

Turner Scott Motorsports said in a statement on Saturday that "several members of another race team confronted a group that included Nelson Piquet Jr., resulting in the arrest of two individuals from the other race team."

Henrico County police said one of the two male victims, not Piquet, suffered a shoulder injury.

Scearce is a mechanic and Costello serves as an interior specialist for the No. 2 team.

NASCAR also penalized Scott and Piquet for violating Section 12-1 and their involvement in an on-track altercation with their two cars after the race had concluded. Both drivers have been placed on probation until June 26. Crew chiefs Chris Carrier (No. 30 car) and Phil Gould (No. 2 car) have likewise been placed on NASCAR probation until the same date, as a result of the on- track incident between their two drivers.

Read more Nationwide Series stories from the Miami Herald

  • Sadler aiming for another 'Dash 4 Cash' payday

    Daytona was the first of four races in this year's "Dash 4 Cash" bonus program from Nationwide Insurance, which is the title sponsor of NASCAR's second-tier series. Elliott Sadler, Brian Vickers, Austin Dillon and rookie Kyle Larson were those drivers eligible for a $100,000 bonus there. Sadler's finish at Daytona was two and three spots in front of Dillon and Larson. Vickers placed 13th.

  • NASCAR - Nationwide - New England 200 Preview

  • Dillon wins another Nationwide pole at Daytona

    Austin Dillon continued his dominance in Nationwide Series qualifying this season by winning the pole for Friday night's Subway Firecracker 250 at Daytona International Speedway.

Get your Miami Heat Fan Gear!

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category