When Giancarlo Stanton ends long home run droughts, he tends to get hot for an extended period.
It happened in July 2011, when he snapped a homer drought of 83 at-bats and then slugged four long balls in eight games.
It happened again last April, when Stanton ended his career-long drought of 97 at-bats and proceeded to homer six times in nine games.
And it could be happening again. After snapping a 72-at-bat drought Saturday, he has already slugged three homers in two games.
• Shortstop Nick Green, who struck out in his first two at-bats Sunday, recovered to belt an 0-1 pitch for his first homer as a Marlin. It was also his first homer since Aug. 10, 2009, when he was playing for the Red Sox.
• Marlins manager Mike Redmond, on Monday’s intriguing matchup between second-year Mets right-hander Matt Harvey and Marlins right-hander Jose Fernandez, one of the most highly regarded rookies in the game: “It’s exciting. It’s two young pitchers — let’s see who pitches the best.”
Pierre Big Heat fan
Turns out the Heat jersey with the No. 1 hanging in the Marlins’ clubhouse doesn’t belong to Chris Bosh. It belongs to veteran left fielder and longtime Heat fan Juan Pierre, who said he received it as a gift from the Heat during his bachelor party three years ago at AmericanAirlines Arena.
Pierre said he’s had the jersey hung close to his baseball locker since he got it and brings it out during the playoffs. But he won’t wear it.
“I wouldn’t wear it with shorts and kick it,” Pierre said. “Once you get past 30 you can’t wear jerseys. That’s just the rule. You pass 30 years old, you can’t wear it. When I became a man, I had to put those away.”
Pierre said his teammates in Philadelphia and Chicago gave him a hard time about putting the jersey up in his locker. But with so many Heat fans in the Marlins’ locker room, it’s not a problem anymore.
“Nobody is giving me [junk] about it here,” he said. “You can’t root against the Heat here.”
• Monday: Marlins RHP Fernandez (0-2, 4.50 ERA) vs. New York Mets RHP Harvey (4-0, 1.54), 7:10 p.m., Marlins Park.
• Tuesday: Marlins RHP Kevin Slowey (0-2, 2.43) vs. Mets RHP Jeremy Hefner (0-2, 5.14), 7:10 p.m., Marlins Park.
• Scouting report: Fernandez has 19 strikeouts, third among rookie pitchers this season. He has made three big-league starts and is still seeking his first win. His best effort was against the team he will face Monday, the Mets. He allowed one run and struck out eight in New York while making his big-league debut on April 7.
Miami Herald sportswriter Manny Navarro contributed to this report.