IN THE CAMPS

Life under lockdown at America’s hunger-striking prison camps

 

America’s offshore war-on-terror prison camp has gone from peaceable routine to hunger-striking nightmare. A look at life at the prison where nearly every captive is under lockdown.

crosenberg@MiamiHerald.com

“None of them were considered,” he said, noting that gestures would “reinforce bad behavior.” Ultimately, he said, they want to be released from Guantánamo, and that’s something he has no authority to do.

That was before the raid that locked everybody at the communal camp inside an individual cell, a single-cell style of confinement that Obaidullah’s lawyer says the Afghan hadn’t seen since the Bush years.

The morning of April 13, Poteet said, Obaidullah was doing ritual washing in an inner recreation yard in anticipation of pre-dawn prayers when the guards arrived, throwing tear gas and firing something he could not identify. Obaidullah swears he did not resist, his lawyer said, and believes he is consigned to suffering a kind of collective punishment for the bad acts he attributes to some, not all.

Obaidullah told his lawyer Monday that he knew the troops who hold him “don’t have the authority to send me home. But they do have the authority to be nice.”

He pleaded, Poteet said, for “some basic human dignity and reasonableness.”

To claims of collective punishment, Navy Capt. Robert Durand, the prison spokesman, offers a quote from Southcom’s commander, Marine Gen. John F. Kelly: “Never, ever, ever, ever, ever reward bad behavior.”

Because every camera within reach was covered in the communal cellblocks, the military says, every captive who was there is being punished. Bogdan would not predict when they might return to group meals and prayers; Zak said he hoped at least some would be together by Ramadan. It starts in early July.

A few with limited freedom

In a section of Camp 5, now Guantánamo’s most populous, maximum-security prison, there still exists an unseen corner of communal confinement — about a dozen prisoners who can walk around the corridor unshackled, with the guards watching from outside.

Each man now has his own player to watch DVDs in his cell. None of those men happens to be a hunger striker, says Army Lt. Col. Samuel House, a prison camp spokesman.

An unscripted view of the block last week seemed to confirm this.

Just as eight men in Bravo Block were finishing up pre-dawn fajr prayers inside their cells, a monitor in the command center showed a bearded captive pop something into a microwave oven. He waited perhaps 60 seconds, then carried that something away — a privilege no longer possible for the men in lockdown.

A meal arrives three times a day and is offered through a slot in a steel door, presenting a choice: eat it or the guards will throw it away.

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category