University of Miami coach Al Golden said Thursday that linebacker Gabe Terry has been kicked off the team in the wake of his arrest last Friday on charges of felony marijuana possession. He had five tackles in seven games as a freshman last season, and the coaching staff expected him to contribute this fall.
He was suspended before the incident, Golden said. Weve separated and are going in another direction.
Terry is the third linebacker to leave the team since the end of the season. UM previously parted ways with Eddie Johnson and Gionni Paul, who also had off-field issues.
Golden addressed a few other issues on a conference call for Atlantic Coast Conference coaches:
• He said all indications are that running back Eduardo Clements who missed spring with a neck injury will be cleared to play.
• Golden said every injured player should be back by Aug. 1 except defensive end Dyron Dye. Golden said Dye, who suffered an Achilles injury, will have a chance to be back during training camp.
• Golden didnt rule out the possibility of players transferring from UM but said it would be premature to discuss it.
• He said punter Pat ODonnell, who transferred from Cincinnati, is the veteran punter we need. He will be eligible this season.
• Golden said the guy who threw us a curve this spring was [fullback] Mo Hagens. He really grew as a ball carrier.
• Speaking of his roster in general, Golden said: I have concerns everywhere. I have concerns at a number of positions. We built some depth in the spring. We have a long way to go to be the type of team we want to be.