Chopped peanuts and flaked coconut form a savory-sweet crust for fresh scallops. Sauté the scallops and serve them on a bed of sautéed spinach flavored with coconut milk. Rice microwaved for a minute, tossed with shredded carrots and also flavored with coconut milk makes a quick side dish. The carrots get slightly cooked in the heat of the cooked rice.
The secret to making sweet, juicy scallops is to sear them for 1 1/2 minutes on each side. They will be translucent in the center and continue to cook off the heat.
Coconut milk is made by mixing shredded coconut with boiling water, letting it steep and then straining it. “Lite” coconut milk is available, and it works well in this recipe.
Fred Tasker’s wine tip: I’d try a bone-dry, crisp, light-as-air French muscadet white wine.
• Chop the peanuts and coconut flakes together in a food processor.
• The scallops and spinach are made in the same skillet.
• White or brown microwaveable rice can be used.
• Shredded or matchstick carrots can be found in the produce section of the market.
• Prepare all of the ingredients.
• Make the rice and set aside to absorb the coconut milk.
• Make the scallops and spinach
This meal contains 563 calories per serving with 33 percent of calories from fat.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for tonight’s Dinner in Minutes.
• To buy: 1 small package dry-roasted, unsalted peanuts; 1 package desiccated coconut flakes; 3/4 pound scallops; 1 can “lite” coconut milk; 1 small package washed, ready-to-eat spinach; 1 package shredded carrots; 1 package microwaveable rice.
• Staples: Canola oil, salt, black peppercorns.
Linda Gassenheimer is the author, most recently, of “Fast and Flavorful: Great Diabetes Meals from Market to Table.” Her website is dinnerinminutes.com. Follow her on Twitter @lgassenheimer.