That day, Sept. 14, White House officials replied to the email thread, stating that State’s concerns must be taken into account and that the matter would be discussed again at a meeting the next day. At the subsequent meeting, a small group of State Department and CIA officials modified the talking points; the actual edits were made by what the report calls “a current high-ranking CIA official.”
Finally, the report states, the FBI approved a version of the talking points that added back in some information on the attacks and threats in the area.
Rice used the modified talking points when she appeared on five Sunday talk shows after the attacks, “thereby perpetuating the deliberately misleading and incomplete narrative that the attacks evolved from a demonstration caused by a YouTube video.” the report said.
At a House Foreign Affairs Committee hearing last week, Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., made it clear that Republicans would continue their probe of Benghazi even though Clinton is now gone. Rohrabacher repeated the allegations of “a coverup of some kind of wrongdoing” and asked Clinton’s successor, Secretary of State John Kerry, to commit to helping investigators find out who was evacuated from the scene in Benghazi and what they knew about the sequence of events.
A visibly exasperated Kerry agreed to appoint a State Department employee to work directly with House Republicans to address their questions.
Kerry, however, denied that the State Department had been uncooperative.
“The administration had testified eight times, has briefed 20 times, Secretary Clinton spent five hours answering questions before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, 25,000 documents have already been turned over, video of the actual event has been made available for members to see,” he said.
“I don’t think anybody lied to anybody,” Kerry told the committee. “And let’s find out exactly, together, what happened, because we need – we got a lot more important things to move on to and get done.”