Paramedics were called to Fienberg Fisher K-8 Center on Miami Beach Tuesday afternoon amid concerns two students had overdosed on the club drug Molly, according to fire rescue and Miami-Dade schools officials.
Miami Beach Fire Rescue sent paramedics to the school just before 3 p.m. after receiving calls about two accidental overdoses, according to Fire Chief Javier Otero. The boys were taken to Mount Sinai Medical Center.
School district spokesman John Schuster said the students, both 14, are suspected to have ingested Molly, a drug often billed as pure Ecstasy. Schuster said the students were conscious but had rapid heart beats and were taken to the hospital as a precaution.
He said police don’t yet know where they allegedly obtained the drug.
The incident comes less than two weeks after nine students at Miami Coral Park Senior High were taken to the hospital after police said they ate brownies laced with synthetic marijuana.
“They happen to be close together but it’s not a common occurrence,” said Schuster.