Dolphins notebook

Source: Miami Dolphins, Kansas City Chiefs talk trade for LT Branden Albert

 

bjackson@MiaimHerald.com

The Dolphins have had serious talks with the Kansas City Chiefs about a potential trade for left tackle Branden Albert, according to a source. The Chiefs want a second-round pick in return, and Miami has two second-round picks in next week’s NFL Draft.

Albert signed his franchise tag tender for $9.8 million, but he and the Dolphins could agree to a long-term deal if a trade is agreed upon. Albert has started the past five seasons for the Chiefs and was ranked 25th among all tackles by Pro Football Focus last season. The Chiefs also have spoken to other teams about Albert.

Miami continues to look for a tackle after losing Jake Long to St. Louis.

Philbin to speak

In just his second year as an NFL head coach, the Dolphins’ Joe Philbin has emerged as an influential figure in league circles.

The NFL announced Wednesday that Philbin and Dolphins contract negotiator Dawn Aponte will speak at the NFL Career Development Symposium, held May 6-8 at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business. The three-day program is intended to educate and assist aspiring head coach and general manager candidates with keynote speakers, panel discussions and other networking opportunities.

The symposium comes after minority candidates were passed over for all 15 of the league’s top-level openings this offseason. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said last month that he was “disappointed in the results” of the Rooney Rule, which mandates NFL franchises interview minority candidates every time there is a coaching or general manager opening.

“We are pleased to offer this program to provide a diverse group of coaching and front office talent with the tools and networking opportunities to take the next step in their careers,” Goodell said Wednesday in a written release. “This symposium will help develop our coaching and front office pipeline and build on the progress we have made over the past decade.”

Along with Philbin and Aponte, other notable presenters include Jaguars owner Shad Khan, Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

For Philbin, the announcement comes the same week he was named to the Coaches Subcommittee of the NFL’s Competition Committee, a seven-man board that debates player safety, competitive issues, coaching and personnel development and technological innovations.

The Dolphins hired Philbin, then a career assistant, as their head coach in January 2012. His team went 7-9 in his first season.

• Hall of Fame offensive guard Larry Little will announce the Dolphins’ second- and third-round selections in the NFL Draft from Radio City Music Hall in New York.

Adam H. Beasley contributed to this report

Read more Top Sports Stories stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Miami Marlins manager Mike Redmond reacts furiously after the safe call at the plate by the umpire in the eight inning during their game against the Cincinnati Reds at Marlins Park in Miami on July 31, 2014.

    Reds 3, Marlins 1

    Miami Marlins left raging after replay review helps Cincinnati Reds to victory

    The Marlins lost to the Reds after a play at the plate, in which Cincinnati’s Zack Cozart was thrown out at the plate, was reversed.

  •  
Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice answers question during a news conference after NFL football training camp practice in Owings Mills, Md. on July 31, 2014.

    In My Opinion | David J. Neal

    David J. Neal: NFL fumbled on Ray Rice punishment, then tried to justify it

    Baltimore Ravins running back Ray Rice spoke publicly Thursday for the first time since security camera video and NFL discipline transformed him into the latest domestic violence national talking point. Rice occasionally came off as self-centered. He also indulged in some self-victimization. Generally, however, he seemed seriously ashamed of the actions toward his wife in February that got him charged with felony aggravated assault.

  •  
Joey Grosso was added to the UM football 105-man roster Tuesday and died Wednesday while scuba diving during lobster miniseason.

    UM FOOTBALL

    Man who died scuba diving was added to Miami Hurricanes roster a day earlier

    Joey Grosso, the 22-year-old Lighthouse Point resident and former Penn linebacker who died Wednesday while scuba diving on the first day of lobster mini-season, had been added to the 105-man Miami Hurricanes football roster Tuesday, UM confirmed Thursday.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category