Venezuela

Venezuelan opposition calls off planned protest over vote result

 

More information

The U.S. , meanwhile, said it is not yet reayd to recognize Maduro as the winner and called Tuesday for a full recount of the votes. a full recount would be important, prudent, and necessary in ensuring that an evenly divided Venezuelan electorate is confident that the election meets their democratic aspirations. The OAS and the EU have expressed similar views. And there are also outstanding allegations of voting irregularities raised by the opposition.

So the CNE’s decision to declare Mr. Maduro the victor before completing a full recount is difficult to understand, and they did not explain their haste in taking this decision.


Similar stories:

jwyss@MiamiHerald.com

Capriles said his camp was continuing to collect thousands of additional alleged irregularities to present to the CNE. For example, he said, opposition witnesses were forced to leave 283 voting centers, some at gunpoint. At 564 centers, he said, government backers were accompanying voters to the booth.

The United Sates, meanwhile, said it is not yet ready to recognize Maduro as the winner and called Tuesday for a full recount of the votes. Maduro responded in a new round of criticism aimed at Washington, saying the U.S. Embassy was behind most of the unrest.

Reinaldo Corales, the president of the union of CNE workers, told local media that colleagues had been harassed and threatened. He asked the nation not to take its frustration out on civil servants.

“That’s not the responsibility of the CNE or its workers,” he said. “We just add up the votes and that’s how it came out.”

The opposition has 20 days to make its case for a recount, but the administration isn’t waiting. On Monday, Maduro, 50, was declared the official winner and on Friday will be sworn in during a ceremony before the National Assembly. He has invited supporters to a mass rally in Caracas to celebrate.

Capriles called on supporters to bang pots Tuesday night and during Friday’s inauguration to protest the election results.

Maduro’s narrow lead shocked his supporters. He had been running far ahead in many polls on the wave of sympathy generated by March 5 death of Hugo Chávez.

Maduro said he will work to build a new majority but says there’s no reason to make “pacts” with the opposition. While his electoral majority was thin, he will enjoy a majority in the legislature and 20 out 23 governors are government allies.

As reports emerged late Monday that offices of the ruling PSUV party were attacked in three states, Anzoátegui, Barinas and Táchira states, Maduro said Capriles was personally to blame.

“Is this the Venezuela you want, losing candidate?” Maduro said. “You are responsible for this fire because you’re the one who called for violence on the street.”

Read more Venezuela stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category