University of Miami sophomore point guard Shane Larkin remains undecided about whether he will enter the 2013 NBA Draft or return for his junior season with the Hurricanes.
Larkin has until midnight on April 28 to declare for the draft.
Underclassmen who already entered their names into the draft have until Tuesday to withdraw to preserve their college eligibility.
Larkin doesn’t fall into that group because although he submitted his name to the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee for an evaluation, he has not sent the required letter to the league asking to be included in the draft.
“Shane’s situation remains status quo,” said Barry Larkin, the player’s father. “His status with the NCAA has not changed because he hasn’t entered the draft. He is still in school, gathering information and we’re waiting to hear what he’s thinking.”
Last year, in an effort to help college coaches who were in limbo while their players “tested the NBA waters,” the NCAA instituted a proposal that states: “Student-athletes interested in ‘testing the waters’ of the NBA Draft [are required] to remove their name from consideration before the first day of the spring National Letter of Intent signing period.”
The first day of said signing period is April 17, meaning any player who enters the NBA Draft before then must remove his name by April 16 in order to keep his collegiate eligibility. But athletes who don’t enter their names with the advisory committee can take until April 28 to make their decision without jeopardizing their NCAA eligibility.
Larkin averaged 14.5 points and 4.6 assists his sophomore season. He was named Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Year by the conference coaches, and was one of five finalists for the Cousy Award for the nation’s top point guard.