Venezuela

Opposition calls for election protests in Venezuela

 
 

Venezuela's acting president Nicolas Maduro, the late Hugo Chavez's hand-picked successor, battles opposition candidate Henrique Capriles in the presidential election.
Venezuela's acting president Nicolas Maduro, the late Hugo Chavez's hand-picked successor, battles opposition candidate Henrique Capriles in the presidential election.
LEO RAMIREZ - RONALDO SCHEMIDT / AFP/Getty Images
WEB VOTE Are you shocked by the results of the Venezuelan presidential election?

jwyss@MiamiHerald.com

As Nicolás Maduro was declared the winner of Sunday’s tight and contested presidential vote, thousands of opposition marchers paralyzed parts of the capital Monday chanting “fraud!” and demanding a recount.

In a ceremony in central Caracas, the National Electoral Council, or CNE, declared Maduro the winner of the race. But his rival, Henrique Capriles, maintained the vote was flawed and that to assume the presidency without a full recount made him illegitimate.

“This crisis can be resolved counting vote by vote,” Capriles said.

He’s called on supporters to march on regional CNE offices on Tuesday. On Wednesday, Capriles said he would lead protesters to the national office to present a list of 3,200 voting irregularities and campaign violations that he said skewed the election.

Authorities said Maduro won 51 percent of the vote to Capriles’ 49 percent, and beat his rival in 16 out of 24 states, including the capital. But with 99.1 percent of the vote counted, Maduro’s advantage was less than 240,000 votes.

While both sides agreed to a full audit Sunday night, CNE President Tibisay Lucena suggested Monday that would not be forthcoming. She said 54 percent of the vote had been automatically audited, which would be considered “excessive” in any other country. Once he was declared the victor, Maduro also said there was no need for a complete recount.

As the ceremony was taking place, several thousand people gathered in Plaza Francia, a longtime opposition stronghold, chanting “the government is going to fall,” and burning Maduro campaign posters.

“They committed fraud,” said Nerquis Alfonso, 45, a pharmacist, as she banged on a pot with a spoon. “And the CNE is full of [government supporters]. There’s no one who can guarantee us that our vote was respected.”

The banging of pots in protest, known here as a cacerolazo, went on for more than an hour in parts of the city.

In central Caracas, Maduro supporters said the opposition was acting in bad faith and trying to generate violence.

Guillermo Gimon, 62, said that other presidents had won by smaller margins before, and that Capriles had secured his governors’ seat in December by just three points over his pro-Chávez rival.

“It’s like they’re trying to spark violence or a coup,” he said. “They have to listen to the will of the people.”

As he spoke to crowds after the ceremony, Maduro called on the opposition to admit it had lost and warned against trying to take power through force.

“If you want to try to oust us through a coup, the people and the armed forces will be waiting for you,” he said. “But what we want is peace.”

On Monday, the Inter-American Union of Electoral Organizations, one of the international groups invited to follow the election, said the vote was peaceful and transparent

Voting booths closed in “complete” normalcy and voting data was transferred to the CNE headquarters without any “problems,” said organization President Roberto Rosario.

Now the political leadership “has to accept these results with responsibility,” he said.

The Union of South American Nations, UNASUR, also said Sunday’s election was free and fair.

Read more Americas stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category