Venezuela Elections

Henrique Capriles demands recount as Nicolas Maduro wins Venezuelan presidential election

 
 
Venezuela's acting president Nicolas Maduro, the late Hugo Chavez's hand-picked successor, battles opposition candidate Henrique Capriles in the presidential election.
Venezuela's acting president Nicolas Maduro, the late Hugo Chavez's hand-picked successor, battles opposition candidate Henrique Capriles in the presidential election.
LEO RAMIREZ - RONALDO SCHEMIDT / AFP/Getty Images
WEB VOTE Are you shocked by the results of the Venezuelan presidential election?

jwyss@MiamiHerald.com

The opposition had been complaining of irregularities all day. And as polls began closing late Sunday, Capriles posted on Twitter that the administration was “trying to change the will of the people.”

As the results were announced, Capriles supporters shouted, “Fraud!”

“I don’t believe this,” said Betty Weber, 60, with tears in her eyes. “Everyone knew we were winning. They’re just playing the same game as always.”

Maduro, 50, takes the helm of a deeply divided nation plagued by violence, and struggling under record inflation, power outages and food shortages. Maduro has vowed to make crime and the economy his two top priorities, but offered few olive branches to the administration’s traditional “enemies.”

Asked whether he would seek reconciliation with the opposition, Maduro said his administration is always open to dialogue but not “pacts with the right wing.”

He also said there could be no rapprochement with the United States until Washington “respects” Venezuela. In March, the government expelled two U.S. diplomats it accused of “conspiring” with members of the armed forces. On Sunday, Maduro said his government would offer additional details about U.S. meddling here.

“We will never accept it,” he said of U.S. interference. “While I am president and the revolution is governing we will not allow any empire to humiliate us.”

The loss was a serious blow to an opposition that has been defeated in three back-to-back races.

After Capriles lost to Chávez in October, ruling-party allies swept 20 out of 23 governors races in December.

Before the results were announced, Luís Vicente León, with the Datanalisis polling firm, conceded that Capriles’ second loss in six months might leave him “forgotten, destroyed and pulverized politically,” but he said many opposition supporters understand that the 40-year-old governor was facing an uphill battle.

This race was “seen as an epic sacrifice to represent the opposition and fight for political space no matter how tough,” he said.

Venezuela does not allow electoral observers, but it does invite “accompaniers” to follow the vote.

On Sunday, a delegation with the Inter-American Union of Electoral Organizations was having photos taken in front a sidewalk shrine to Chávez, where citizens had placed flowers, letters and cups of coffee.

The delegation’s president, Roberto Rosario, said his group had not seen any blatant campaign violations Sunday.

“What we’re seeing is people voting calmly. There’s no sense of confrontation,” he said.

Asked about pro-government propaganda that was in Sunday’s newspapers and on public television, Rosario said it was largely a consequence of the compressed 10-day campaign. The opposition also had thinly veiled ads in some papers, he said.

“There are issues on both sides,” he said. “But when the issues are equal we cannot talk about one side having an advantage.”

Diego Sueiras is the mission chief for Redlad, a network of observer organizations that was denied the right to “accompany” Sunday’s vote. Sueiras said the election was deeply flawed because of the uneven playing field leading up to the vote.

“We’re in a system where democracy doesn’t seem to matter before or during the election,” he said. “All that seems to matter is that they can count the votes.”

Read more Americas stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category