Condo Line

Heedless board runs the show

Q. In December we received an invoice for our annual fees. Our property owners association has not had an annual meeting for years and the board has not held a meeting. Our community has both condominiums and single-family homes. Last year several members harassed the board and they called a board meeting but failed to notice it and thus few members attended. But the board continues to run its own show. We have read the statutes for condominiums and homeowner associations (HOA) but can find nothing about property owners associations. We called several state agencies to include the Condominium Division. All said that we need to engage an attorney.

J.G., Largo

The term Property Owners Association is just another name for HOA. However, if you have condominiums in your association, then the board should comply with condominium statutes. Form a committee and send a certified letter to the board that says it has not been complying with the statutes and your documents. Ask the board to call a members meeting to elect a new board. Explain that if it does not, the committee will engage an attorney and seek legal action as well as report the board to the state. If the board does not respond, ask an association attorney for guidance and action.

Q. My car’s windshield was cracked after being hit by a bolt while parked in the condominium’s lot. The bolt appears to be the same as those used on the roof. We have asked for reimbursement for the damage. The president said that negligence has to be proven for the condominium in order for it to be liable. Am I entitled to reimbursement and how do I go about getting it?

S.D., St. Petersburg

The condominium is rarely responsible for loss of personal property. You need to have insurance coverage for such loss. Report this to your insurance agent as a claim. To recover from the condominium, you would need to prove that the damage was directly and deliberately inflicted by someone involved with the board, an employee or management. Just because the object is similar to ones used by the association should not be evidence of neglect. If you find that a kid was responsible, such as throwing the bolt and causing the damage, you may have a case to sue the kid and maybe the family. There is a slim chance of recovery and you will need to file a lawsuit. Repairs are more than likely your responsibility.

Q. Our converted condominium originally supplied gas for our ranges. The board has discontinued this service. That will require a high percentage of the owners to convert to electrical wiring and purchase new stoves. The cost for each owner will be over $1,000. Can the board make this change without the members’ input or vote?

J.C., Tampa

In my opinion, this would be a change to the capital improvements and thus need members’ approval. The board has a responsibility to maintain the common areas and the services that are supplied to members from the original conversion. If the board is trying to reduce the expense of this gas service, it would not be right to just stop it. The information in your question appears that gas is a common expense. Maybe the board could convert each unit to an individual with a meter to calculate each unit’s usage, but again that would require the members’ vote. The problem with this is that there will be a cost for each meter and then the expense of monthly meter readings and bookkeeping and billing. You may find that this expensive. From the information provided, I suggest that the board and the members approve a future change that when an owner must buy a new stove, it must be electric.

Write to Condo Line, Richard White, 6039 Cypress Gardens Blvd., #201, Winter Haven, FL 33884-4115, or e-mail Include name and city.

Read more Home & Garden stories from the Miami Herald

 <span class="cutline_leadin">COZY, CASUAL CHARM:</span> Downsizing from a larger home is an art, but you can still maintain a stylish space.


    The art of downsizing is well worth the effort

    My life changed the day I visited a friend who had downsized into a charming home on a little lake on the outskirts of Kansas City, Mo. I fell in love with the quiet community of small, unassuming homes built decades ago around a sleepy lake.

Neil Patrick Harris listed his home in the Sherman Oaks neighborhood of Los Angeles at $2.995 million.

    Hot Property: Los Angeles

    Country stars selling Malibu pad for $7.5 million

    Country music superstars Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood have put their place in Malibu up for sale at $7.5 million.

This impressive and rather rare vase was made in England by a company that was founded in 1820 to make utilitarian items out of stoneware.


    How old is this vase from my great-grandfather?

    Q: Attached are photos of a vase that once belonged to my great-grandfather. It is marked “Coulton, Burslem” and is decorated with painted poppies and a three-dimensional dragon. It is marked with an emblem with a crown on top and the number 1922. It is 221/2 inches tall. Would it be possible for you to tell me how old it is and the approximate value?

Miami Herald

Join the

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category