White House employees will take unpaid leave because of sequester

 

McClatchy Newspapers

It took a few weeks, but the so-called sequester is about to hit the White House.

The president’s staff will start implementing furloughs for 468 employees next month as part of the across-the-board budget cuts implemented March 1. Each employee must take three to 10 days of unpaid leave during a three-to seven-month period, according to the White House.

Notices also have been sent to employees at the Office of the Vice President, the Office of Management and Budget and the Council on Environmental Quality, the White House said.

The White House had previously announced that 480 employees at OMB would be furloughed for 10 days between April 21 and Sept. 1. But officials had been reluctant to discuss further cuts, though they had been asked by reporters regularly.

Each division within the Executive Office of the President will cut costs in a variety of ways including pay cuts, hiring slowdowns, delayed back-filling of open positions, scaling purchases of equipment and supplies, curtailing staff travel and reducing the use of air cards and subscriptions.

“All of this means that every EOP employee is dealing with the consequences both in their own lives and in their ability to do their job,” said a White House aide, who spoke on condition of anonymity under White House policy.

Some top deputies and advisers will have their paychecks docked the equivalent of one day’s pay.

The federal spending cuts – known in Washington as sequester – went into effect after President Barack Obama and congressional leaders failed to bridge a fundamental disagreement over spending and taxes.

The administration warned that the cuts would cause delays in air traffic, prompt teacher layoffs and hamper food inspections. Some agencies have reported employee furloughs, but critics have accused the White House of overstating the effects.

The White House has received criticism for canceling its public tours, though it has kept some events intact, such as the Easter Egg Roll and this weekend’s spring garden tour.

Obama said last week that he would return 5 percent of his $400,000 annual salary in a show of solidarity with federal workers following reports that several Cabinet secretaries would do the same. Since then, Vice President Joe Biden has said he would do the same.

Email: akumar@mcclatchydc.com; Twitter: @anitakumar01

Read more Politics Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • NBA plans expanded programs with military

    Army graduate Mike Krzyzewski will lead a U.S. national team practice at his alma mater, and the U.S. women will train at the Naval Academy as part of an increased partnership among the NBA, USA Basketball and the Department of Defense.

  • Court declines to block drug ruling in patent case

    Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts on Friday declined to temporarily block a lower court ruling that opens the world's best-selling multiple sclerosis drug to competition from generic rivals next month.

  •  
This Feb. 6, 2014 photo, provided by the office of the Iranian President, shows Hamid Aboutalebi, an Iranian diplomat, who was recently named as Iran's ambassador to the United Nations, speaking in his office in Tehran, Iran. President Barack Obama has signed legislation aimed at blocking Iran’s chosen ambassador to the United Nations but says he’s only treating it as guidance. The unusual legislation bars anyone from entering the U.S. as a U.N. representative if they’ve engaged in espionage or terrorist activity and still pose a threat to U.S. security. It’s aimed at blocking Hamid Aboutalebi, linked to the 1979 takeover of the U.S. embassy in Tehran.

    Obama signs bill aimed at blocking Iran's UN envoy

    President Barack Obama signed legislation Friday aimed at blocking Iran's chosen ambassador to the United Nations because of his ties to the 1979 takeover of the U.S. Embassy in Tehran. But the president says he's only treating the legislation as guidance.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category