WAR COURT

Pentagon computer problems postpone Guantánamo hearing

 
 
In this sketch by courtroom artist Janet Hamlin, Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, bottom left, watches during his military commissions arraignment as Judge Col. James Pohl presides at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Station in Guantanamo, Cuba, Nov. 9, 2011. A Pentagon official reviewed the sketch and approved its release.
In this sketch by courtroom artist Janet Hamlin, Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, bottom left, watches during his military commissions arraignment as Judge Col. James Pohl presides at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Station in Guantanamo, Cuba, Nov. 9, 2011. A Pentagon official reviewed the sketch and approved its release.
JANET HAMLIN / ASSOCIATED PRESS

crosenberg@miamiherald.com

Confronted with claims that a portion of the Pentagon computer system used by defense lawyers is not secure, the chief Guantánamo judge Thursday postponed until June next week’s hearings in an ongoing death penalty trial at the war court in Cuba.

Army Col. James L. Pohl, the judge, agreed to delay the proceedings in the USS Cole conspiracy trial “in the interest of justice” hours after the chief defense counsel, Air Force Col. Karen Mayberry, ordered all war court defense counsels to stop using their computers for confidential email and court documents.

At issue has been the disappearance recently of certain defense documents off what was thought to be a secure hard drive at the Office of Military Commissions. Technicians were creating a mirror of the war court’s server, so lawyers could work on their documents between the Pentagon region and the crude war court compound at the remote Navy base in Cuba, and documents on both the Cole and Sept. 11 death penalty cases simply vanished.

“I honestly don’t know how bad it is. All I know is that the information systems have been impacted, corrupted, lost,” Mayberry said, describing the lost work product by 9/11 defense lawyers as of a greater magnitude than the Cole case.

Plus, the information was on a server that held both defense and prosecution documents, Mayberry said, something that in light of the problems can no longer be tolerated. Had Pohl not issued the delay, she added, she was prepared to ask Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel to freeze the commissions.

The postponement is the latest blow to the Obama administration’s version of the war court that President George W. Bush created in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks. The last round of hearings revealed other confidentiality issues, including an eavesdropping system hidden in what looked like a smoke detector at the attorney-client meeting rooms at the prison camps and the existence of an intelligence censor who until recently had the capability to mute conversation at Guantánamo’s maximum-security courtroom.

No evidence had been uncovered that the problem was a result of an unseen intelligence agency interference, Mayberry said, adding “I suppose anything’s possible. I don’t have any reason to think that’s what’s going on. But I know that we didn’t have any reason to think that smoke detectors weren’t smoke detectors.”

Mayberry said she was insisting on the creation of a separate defense-controlled computer system to assure confidentiality before the hearings could proceed. “I’m not going back to the same broken system,” she said by “putting a Band-Aid on it so we’ll bleed somewhere else.”

The judge had yet to rule on a similar request for postponement of pre-trial hearings scheduled for April 22-26 in the Sept. 11 tribunal. A 9/11 team lawyer wrote a motion by hand Thursday morning because of Mayberry’s order not to use Pentagon computers for privileged or confidential work product. Pohl gave the prosecution until Tuesday to explain how pre-trial motions could go forward in the complex conspiracy case.

“It speaks to the problem of creating a system from whole cloth,” said attorney David Nevin, defense counsel for alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed, discussing the confidentiality question at the Pentagon’s Office of Military Commissions.

No secure defense computers complicates “the entire ability of the defense teams to do their work and strikes at the heart of requirements for confidentiality, for protection of the attorney-client privilege.”

Richard Kammen, defense attorney for the accused Cole bomber, Abd al Rahim al Nashiri, applied for the delay Monday but the judge didn’t rule on it until after the chief defense counsel brought confidential work to a standstill in an order Wednesday night.

Kammen, from Indianapolis, said disclosure of the computer problems at the Pentagon defense office means “under my state rules it’s improper for me to communicate with people using the defense system.”

“It may be that people don’t understand the nature of the attorney-client privilege,” he said. “It may be sinister, it may not be sinister. But you can’t have a system that is accessible to people who don’t understand the nature of the privilege and then call it secure.”

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Guantanamo Bay inmate David Hicks on Nov. 18, 2008, back in Australia.

    War court's first convict wants his get-out-of-Guantánamo guilty plea canceled

    Lawyers for so-called Australian Taliban David Hicks — the first man to trade a Guantánamo guilty plea for his freedom — appealed that conviction Wednesday in an argument that invokes a civilian-court ruling that disqualified providing material support for terrorism as a war crime.

  •  
A bus passes by Camp 6 in the early evening at the the U.S. Navy base, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

    Guantánamo-bound MRI spent year in storage

    The senior medical officer at Southern Command pulled the plug on plans to put an MRI at the U.S. Navy base at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, after a more than year-long review by medical staff concluded it wasn’t necessary for an aging prisoner population, an Army spokesman says.

  •  
Khalid Sheik Mohammed, left and President Barack Obama.

    IN THE CAMPS

    Guantánamo policy: Intelligence unit reviews KSM’s letter to Obama

    If approved by a prison intelligence unit, a letter written by alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed will be sent in the mail to President Barack Obama.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category