2013 LEGISLATURE

Gov. Rick Scott signs Internet cafe ban bill into law

 

Herald/Times Tallahassee Bureau

Gov. Rick Scott has signed a bill to give law enforcement authorities better tools to put an end to illegal gambling devices in strip malls and arcades throughout the state.

With no fanfare, the governor signed the bill in the privacy of his office Wednesday when he returned to the Capitol after making a jobs announcement earlier in Lakeland.

The measure, HB 155, was approved in response to a three-year federal and state investigation into illegal gambling at Internet cafes affiliated with Allied Veterans of the World, a St. Augustine-based charity organization, and has already resulted in job losses for hundreds of workers in now-shuttered operations.

Authorities allege that Allied Vets and their affiliates collected $300 million in revenue but only donated $6 million to charity. Former Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll resigned in the wake of the investigation and subsequent arrests because she had once worked as a consultant for the purported charity organization. She resigned, she said, to avoid becoming a distraction to the governor.

"I think the House and Senate did the right thing to crackdown on illegal gaming, especially in light of the Allied Veterans multi-state criminal conspiracy,’’ Scott told reporters on Wednesday.

Scott would not respond to questions about the 14,000 people who are expected to be put out of work because of the law. "I have a jobs agenda,’’ he said, urging the Legislature to pass his proposal for eliminating the sales tax on manufacturing equipment, one of his two priorities this session.

The Florida Arcade Association, which has fought the legislature’s attempt to include their machines in the crackdown, said the action put a “closed” sign on more than 200 arcades and businesses throughout the state and put other arcade businesses in legal jeopardy.

“With the stroke of the governor’s pen, thousands of jobs were lost today. With all the effort that is put into this state to create jobs, it is unconscionable that the state is acting to put people in the unemployment line,” said Gale Fontaine, the association president.

The law becomes effective immediately, giving law enforcement new definitions on illegal gambling machines. It also imposes new restrictions on arcade games and bans all electronic casino look-alikes, including maquinitas in Miami and Hialeah.

Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez, who praised Scott and state lawmakers for passage of the bill, wasted little time in directing county law enforcement authorities to take action.

“I have already directed Miami-Dade Police Director J.D. Patterson to begin enforcing the law,” said Gimenez in a statement. “There is no longer any ambiguity about the fact that these machines and operations are illegal, and the newly-signed law will help deter the continued growth of illegal activities in Miami-Dade County and throughout the State of Florida.”

For the past three weeks, Internet cafes and adult arcade owners throughout Florida have already been closing down, dismantling equipment and laying off workers in anticipation of the move. There are an estimated 1,000 Internet cafes in Florida and more than 200 adult arcades.

For years, lawmakers had ignored warnings from law enforcement that the gray areas of the law had allowed for the proliferation of the illegal games. But the arrest of 57 owners and operators associated with Allied Veterans put pressure on Florida legislators to move with record speed to outlaw the gaming machines.

Read more Florida stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category