IN THE ARTS

Fashion mag's racy invite to Guantánamo-themed party causes uproar

 
 
In this image provided by New Line Cinema, John Cho, left, and Kal Penn, are shown in a scene from New Line Cinemas "Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay."
In this image provided by New Line Cinema, John Cho, left, and Kal Penn, are shown in a scene from New Line Cinemas "Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay."
JAIMIE TRUEBLOOD / NEW LINE CINEMA

Verbatim | Magazine statement

Flaunt Magazine never intended to cause offense or harm with our Coachella, CA, private event invite, or its verbiage. The imaging, as well as the usage of the word "New" in front of Guantánamo, and the language in accompaniment, were in fact intended to invoke a contradictory spirit of love and carefree fun. As we have previously stated, Flaunt is a publication that routinely illumines topics of social and political contention. Guantánamo has been controversial from its inception, and that an unresolved human rights issue is again fetching headlines is, in our opinion, true to our aims as a publication and not to be interpreted in black and white terms. Still, we value and respect the concerns of the public, and have subsequently revoked the word "Guantánamo," and any references to it from our promotional materials. The event will certainly carry forward, and those in attendance will likely have a spirited and lovely time."

— editorial director Matthew Bedard


crosenberg@miamiherald.com

The prison has inspired tasteless T-shirts like “Come for the beaches ... stay for the waterboarding” and political satire like the Daily Show’s guest Muppet “Gitmo.” The film industry hijacked the narrative when a pair of potheads, Harold and Kumar, managed to Escape from Guantánamo Bay.

But it took an exclusive invitation this week to a Guantánamo-themed party promising “pleasurable torture” on the fringes of a West Coast music and arts festival to find the joke that went too far.

A Hollywood firm, Smashbox Studios, withdrew its sponsorship. The fashionable Coachella festival in Indio, Calif., made clear it had nothing to do with the event. And the edgy Flaunt fashion magazine was contrite Tuesday as controversy swirled around its exclusive invitation featuring scantily clad women wielding assault rifles that popped up on internet sites.

“Flaunt Magazine never intended to cause offense or harm,” said editorial director Matthew Bedard in an email Tuesday afternoon.

“We value and respect the concerns of the public, and have subsequently revoked the word ‘Guantánamo,’ and any references to it from our promotional materials. The event will certainly carry forward, and those in attendance will likely have a spirited and lovely time.”

Bedard, who was handling questions on behalf of editor-in-chief and founder Luis Barajas, a Venezuelan, said the magazine had thought the juxtaposition of a party called “New Guantánamo” featuring semi-nude women, some blindfolded in bikinis, would “invoke a contradictory spirit of love and carefree fun.”

Plus, he said, “Guantánamo has been controversial from its inception, and that an unresolved human rights issue is again fetching headlines is, in our opinion, true to our aims as a publication and not to be interpreted in black and white terms.”

As though to underscore it, the magazine re-issued its invitation to Friday night's 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. party with the words “New Guantánamo” blacked out with a marker mimicking a government censor. A stamp declaring "Confidential" covered a model’s exposed breasts.

No mention was made in the statement of the ongoing protest at the Pentagon’s offshore prison camps where the military on Tuesday classified 43 of its 166 captives as hunger strikers, 11 of them being fed nutritional supplements by tubes snaked up their noses and into their stomachs by Navy medical workers.

But Smashbox Studios, a Los Angeles firm that houses photo shoots for the fashion and entertainment industry, was not amused.

It said it saw the invitation for the first time Monday, after it was issued, and immediately withdrew its sponsorship.

“We were never informed of the theme and most certainly never agreed to provide ‘pleasurable torture’ as the copy stated,” Dee deLara, vice president of creative, said by email Tuesday.

“We feel strongly that even with a new event title, the feel good atmosphere of the party has been tainted,” deLara added.

Coachella, the annual festival that The Los Angeles Times reported drew more than 650,000 to its grounds last year, also distanced itself from the controversy. A query sent to its web portal for media inquiries resulted in an unsigned email response: “Not something we’re involved in.”

Read more Guantánamo stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Algerian Djamel Ameziane, a 42-year-old ethnic Berber, has been approved for release but wants to go to Canada, or another country, rather than the nation he fled in 1992. His lawyers have chosen Canada because he lived there for five years, and filed a failed application for political asylum. From Canada he went to Afghanistan, where he was captured in the U.S. invasion.

    IN THE COURTS

    Ex-Guantánamo detainee can’t get his money back

    Federal judge concludes a former Guantánamo detainee may no longer be a threat, but his money is.

  •  
The Kremlin.

    Russia bans congressman, 12 other Americans

    Russia has placed a U.S. lawmaker and 12 other people connected with the Guantanamo Bay detention camp and the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq on its list of those banned from entering the country.

  •  
In this image from video, Eugene R. Fidell, the lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday, July 16, 2014, in an interview with The Associated Press that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

    Bergdahl hires lawyer for military investigation

    The lawyer representing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said Wednesday that his client has been vilified by some people, but the public should not leap to conclusions before the Army finishes its investigation into how and why the soldier left his post in Afghanistan before being captured by the Taliban.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category