Miami Beach

Miami Beach convention center developers swear they had no improper contact with ex-purchasing director

 

cveiga@MiamiHerald.com

Representatives from the two teams in the running for Miami Beach’s $1 billion Convention Center redevelopment project have submitted affidavits swearing that they had no inappropriate contact with the city’s former procurement director, who is facing unrelated public corruption charges.

Gus Lopez has pleaded not guilty to 63 counts leveled against him in relation to his work for Miami Beach.

Miami Beach Commissioner Deede Weithorn in January had asked for all bidders involved in the convention center bid to swear that they had no inappropriate contact with Lopez or anyone affiliated with him, and that bidders didn’t engage in prohibited lobbying . She had alleged at a commission meeting that a project bidder may have had improper “contact” regarding the bid.

Only members of the two teams that are finalists for the project have submitted affidavits: Robert Wennett and Paul Diamond of the South Beach ACE team, and Roger Zampell and Art Murphy of the Portman-CMC team.

The affidavits include affirmation that no team members engaged in inappropriate contact, either.

Follow @Cveiga on Twitter.

Read more Breaking News stories from the Miami Herald

  • Rocket explodes during test flight; no injuries

    An unmanned SpaceX rocket self-destructed shortly after launching on a test flight at a Central Texas development site, the company said Friday.

  • ND teacher of the year charged with 5 felonies

    A reigning North Dakota teacher of the year was charged Friday with five felony counts for allegedly having sexual contact with a female student more than five years ago.

  •  
FILE - In this July 9, 2014, file photo, a woman walks in front of the building that once housed the human rights group Fundacion Operacion Gaya Internacional in Heredia, Costa Rica. The group and had been contracted by Creative Associates to turn Cuba’s politically apathetic young people into "change agents." The Costa Rican government will investigate undercover U.S. programs operated from the Central American country and using its citizens in a ploy to destabilize the government in Cuba, the director of intelligence and security said Friday.

    Costa Rica to investigate US anti-Cuba program

    The Costa Rican government will investigate undercover U.S. programs operated from the Central American country and using its citizens in a ploy to destabilize the government in Cuba, the director of intelligence and security said Friday.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category